• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Automobile question for LEO

SouthernSlammed

Default rank 5000+ posts
Gingerbeard Operator
92   0
Reaction score
So, I have seen on the weekend's and late in the evening, on the interstate, vehicless that can't be safe and without a doubt not legal to be driven. I call them salvage trains...
20160408_144611.jpg

Usually it's one that was hit in the rear towing one that was hit in the front. The tow hitch is the sketchy of tow hitches.
Last night I seen the worst, a suburban with a tow dolly that had a rear wrecked truck that was pulling another salvaged vehicle. It was a mess that could barely maintain lane! I know towing two trailers is not illegal but they aren't piles of **** either!

So my question is, could I call this in when I see it? Or is it a waste of officer time, and just hope they don't kill someone in process of towing?

Oh snap!

A few nights ago there were 15 random cars towing exactly what you pictured... all had very dim lights attached to the towed vehicle rooftops

I saw a PT cruiser towing a S10... Corolla towing a CRX...

All doing about 55mph 85 South just between Grantville and Hogansville

I have seen these before. About a month ago I saw about a dozen of them at night heading North on I-95 in SC. They have to be illegal. One of them was a small truck towing a full sized truck that was towing a small car all 3 hooked together swerving like a mofo. They evidently were bought at a wreck auction and the buyer was trying to get them home by towing them instead of hauling them. I should have called it in.

There is no doubt they are bought from a salvage auction, with that a salvage titled vehicle in any state, can't be registered and should not be driven on the road! I was debating calling last night, but wasn't sure if it wold do good.

There is no doubt they are bought from a salvage auction, with that a salvage titled vehicle in any state, can't be registered and should not be driven on the road! I was debating calling last night, but wasn't sure if it wold do good.

I should have called it in. If I ever see them again I will. No sense in putting innocent people at risk like that. If the cops see them I am sure they will stop them.

I see them all the time. Sometimes they're wrecked cars, sometimes they just take the bumper covers off to attach their hitch. They're definitely coming from a dealer auction. It's very third world, but I've never heard of one causing any danger or felt they were any sort of a physical threat.

Yeah, I've seen a few nasty crashes resulting from a hitch/vehicle failure on setups similar to that. With that said, there's nothing that I am aware of specifically on towing another vehicle like that but there is almost always other equipment violations to stop for and inspect things a little closer. They're just trying to do things the cheapest way possible and get the most bang for their buck for their used car lot. Sadly, this is done at the expense of safety most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom