• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auxillary back up lights

Medic1957

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
137   1
Reaction score
I want to add some auxillary back up lights to my 2005 GMC truck. Can I splice into the wiring for the standard back up lights, or do I have to run a whole new set of wires ?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on the lights and how many amps they pull, but I wouldn’t recommend using the factory wiring to power them directly. What you can do is run a new power wire (make sure it’s thick enough gauge to handle the power of your lights) with an in-line fuse from the battery to the back and use the factory wiring lead to trigger a relay. Tap the frame near the location for the ground (same gauge thickness as your positive lead from the battery) and you’ll be good to go. Just plan to put the relay in a location or inside a water proof box if mounting under the truck so water doesn’t short it out.

I got some small LED strip lights, and wired them directly to the tail light/back up light on my PU. Mounted them on the bumper of the PU. They don't pull enough current to mess up the circuits. And they are the bomb for lighting up behind and the sides.

Like everything else, your lights are tied into a computed, and excessive loads screw up the whole system, but the LED work fine.

Wired some LED work lights on the tool box on a switch for hitching trailer, loading deer and so on. Went straight to the fuse box under the hood.

You can wire them to the cargo light. I like that method for a few reasons. Not all of these may apply to your truck but this is how new chevys are

- They don’t come on when you unlock the truck (they do when tied to reverse)

- There is an open aux plug already ready to go under the bed that’s tied into this cargo light circuit.

- They work with the switch and indicator light in the cab

- they only work in park and reverse but not in drive so you won’t blind people on accident

- they time out and Auto shut off if you forget them (they wouldn’t if hard wired)

Your mileage may vary

Back
Top Bottom