• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Availability of U.S. 30 Carbine?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
As we start out 2018, what's the latest word on the availability of a real military-surplus (not commercial reproduction) U.S. Carbine, caliber .30, M1?

I have a friend who would like to own one, as has father had during WWII and really liked. My friend is only interested in a real military-contract produced version, not a commercial one, even if it's just a commercial receiver and the rest are real GI surplus parts.

But, he's not a collector or brand snob, so he doesn't care if the carbine is a mixed lot of parts from various government contractors, covering different periods. It doesn't have to be all authentic and period-correct as if it were freshly brought back from the jungles of the Pacific in 1945.

How many such guns are out there on the market?

Where are they likely to be sold, besides GunBroker and other national auction sites?

Have any of y'all recently seen any in pawn shops or gun stores in the Atlanta or North Georgia areas?

MI carbine drawing.jpg

I've seen a few shooters at Cherokee Gun over the past several months but they go quickly. Seems like the shooters sell faster than the high end correct models. Prices are all over the place too. I know where a couple are at but they're either cmp or period correct in the 850-950 range

Seen a few at gun shows but usually stupid high prices $1,000 and up. Less if he doesn't mind an import mark on the barrel especially Blue Sky.

He should invest in a .30 muzzle gauge. I was looking at one at a show and it swallowed the gauge, worn out barrel. Anything 3+ will group well enough.

I called Cherokee Gun & Pawn this week-- they have no mil-spec .30 M1 carbines.
Oh well.
Gunbroker's got a bunch of them, but all over $1000 with days left on each auction. Even for common, ordinary models produced by the boatload.

I called Cherokee Gun & Pawn this week-- they have no mil-spec .30 M1 carbines.
Oh well.
Gunbroker's got a bunch of them, but all over $1000 with days left on each auction. Even for common, ordinary models produced by the boatload.
Prices are high for good correct or un-re-arsenaled rifles. Have been for more than a year now. $800 will get you a rattling shooter. $1,000 could get you a decent shooter (if any such thing exists, I think they suck accuracy wise). An unmolested, unBubba-fied, WWII correct carbine is going to set you back about $1,500 - $2,000 today, depending. You'd be hard pressed to find one of these at a show, they do show up in shops, but rarely.

Just sold a nice Winchester here, Delivery tomorrow. ODT is probably the best source. Place a WTB ad.

Squirrel Daddy muzzle gauge $ 24.95 at Amazon. Well worth it to keep from making a several hundred dollar mistake.

DSCF2585.JPG

An unmolested, unBubba-fied, WWII correct carbine is going to set you back about $1,500 - $2,000 today, depending.

I own one of those animals I am told. I purchased it from a collector and good friend about three years ago for over $2100. He had owned it for over 20 years so he said. It is a Standard Products receiver 2180XXX with a 1-44 Underwood barrel and all visible early parts. I have never fired it. At one time I started making a list of the individual parts and their manufacturer using Larry Ruth's book. I believe I still have the list on my computer in a Word file. I also have ammo as well as authentic mags, pouches, slings, muzzle covers and some sort of WWII Dept of the Army documents. Most likely when I pass into Glory, my daughters will take all of it to a local pawn shop, where I am certain they will receive a fair price for it. LOL. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom