• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aviation Institute of Maintenance

You do not have to attend a school or join the military to get licensed.

IIRC you can work under the supervision of a licensed mechanic and use that work to qualify you to take the written and practical test .

Working in a small shop and getting paid is not a bad way to go. even at min wage, you come out way ahead, financially.

Just a thought, some of the best avionics guys I knew came from the navy. They did have a fcc ticket but no a/p. If you went to the air force you would either specialize in airframe or power plant. The faa won’t sign you off on both.
School is great but Most airlines look for some one with 5-7 years experience, you would have to go with a commuter or small bug smashers.

They will if you work enroute , I had both when I got mine

You do not have to attend a school or join the military to get licensed.

IIRC you can work under the supervision of a licensed mechanic and use that work to qualify you to take the written and practical test .

Working in a small shop and getting paid is not a bad way to go. even at min wage, you come out way ahead, financially.

I think I still have one of these in my tool box.

Guess.jpg

Just a thught several airlines offer a mechanics helper position, you basically do the no brain work and work with a tech. They also provide programs where you attend school to obtain your a/p.

I am an A&P and I know a couple of the instructors that work there. 20 years ago I paid 15k for 18 months of instruction to get my ticket. I did 4 years in the Air Force in an unrelated field. I just spoke with a guy who got out after 20 in the navy working on F-18’s.
If you do join the military, document everything and take advantage of the college courses available. The squid was telling me about one of the branches of service that was geared up to Discharge members with complete paperwork to have the local fisdo sign off on their A&P upon discharge.
More importantly the college opportunity could place them in a better position than just a mechanic.

back in late 90’s i went thru a&p scholl when Clayton State had their program running. The training teaches you a bit of wverything and ability to do so much. I never got my a&p, life had other plans and made a different career choice. But no matter it was some great skills I learned. I have no clue what it cost then. It is a good field, good luck OP

Back
Top Bottom