• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aviation Institute of Maintenance

Anyone know anything about this place? I'm interested in getting an adult job for once and aviation mechanic sounds like a cool title. I'm looking at AIM in Duluth right now to start training. I'm a bit hesitant because every review about this place is saying the instructors are gold but the administration is screwing them one way or another. I can't tell who's whining because they screwed up and who has genuinely been shafted.

Just looking for a little info from some folks on here. Don't want to put myself 45k in debt at 25.

That's expensive. (but could be worthwhile.)

I don't know many mechanics anymore, but I would ask around and see what they would advise.

I knew a couple of guys who started as "mechanic's helpers" at delta-and went to school on the side. Used to be that delta preferred people who did that vs people who had a license before they were hired.

One thing about the military-you often don't come out with full civilian licenses. They will usually dangle a new license or rating for signing up for another enlistment.

I'd ask around a lot. Try and find out what the best approach is these days.

Good advice on middle ga as well. They have a pretty active aviation program from what I hear.

U.S. Army aviation is how I got my job in aviation, I would check with atlanta area Technical college just south of the old Braves stadium, they are starting up their Aviation program!!!P.S. I think the college may have a different name that is why I described the location. Check it out.

If you are good at electrical stuff, seems like that would be a good focus these days.

Airliners are not machines as much as they are a flying sensor/computer network. Guys who work on that stuff seem to have good job security. And those skills are pretty portable. If an airline has layoffs, seems like you could work for an avionics refurbisher vs being out of luck as a standard A&P.

If you are good at electrical stuff, seems like that would be a good focus these days.

Airliners are not machines as much as they are a flying sensor/computer network. Guys who work on that stuff seem to have good job security. And those skills are pretty portable. If an airline has layoffs, seems like you could work for an avionics refurbisher vs being out of luck as a standard A&P.

Huge demand for A&Ps outside of aviation. Job security is no problem.

I got my A&P in 92. I think the AMT program was around 10K back then at Portland community college.
It is one of those job fields that is cyclical.
I have been layed off 3 times in 25 years and worked all over the US and been overseas quite a few times.
I know guys that got lucky and found the right job and have been with the same airline for years but that isn't necessarily the norm.
I've moved cross country on my own dime 4 times for jobs. That being said I've never been unemployed for very long.

I'd snoop around delta and see if you can find out more. They used to hire machinist's helpers who would learn to run CNG stuff at a tech school on the side. They have an engine shop in the old northwest hangar now-in addition to the big tech ops center. Lots of guys got skills working on engines and such-and that makes them very valuable to engine manufacturers and airlines.

Back
Top Bottom