• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aviation Institute of Maintenance

I'd snoop around delta and see if you can find out more. They used to hire machinist's helpers who would learn to run CNG stuff at a tech school on the side. They have an engine shop in the old northwest hangar now-in addition to the big tech ops center. Lots of guys got skills working on engines and such-and that makes them very valuable to engine manufacturers and airlines.

I know a guy that works at Delta right now that hired in as a store keeper about 4 years ago became a mechanics helper and now is an A&P in the hangar.
If you can get in they will train you.

Thanks for all the info, guys. This is just something a buddy of mine suggested at work one day. I stopped by there earlier today and the facility seemed impressive for someone not in the know.

Anyone know anything about this place? I'm interested in getting an adult job for once and aviation mechanic sounds like a cool title. I'm looking at AIM in Duluth right now to start training. I'm a bit hesitant because every review about this place is saying the instructors are gold but the administration is screwing them one way or another. I can't tell who's whining because they screwed up and who has genuinely been shafted.

Just looking for a little info from some folks on here. Don't want to put myself 45k in debt at 25.

Lots of opportunities as an aviation mechanic. Hydraulics, electrician, sheetmetal, engines, avionics, etc. If you can get into civil service for the government, you won't need your A&P. Outside of that, you probably will. But the money-making potential is probably higher as well. Especially if you're willing to contract overseas.

I was able to co-op through a tech school, I was able to get financial aid with no student loans, etc to pay back. I don't have an A&P, but in my case, I've never needed it. Hope this helps.

I know a guy that works at Delta right now that hired in as a store keeper about 4 years ago became a mechanics helper and now is an A&P in the hangar.
If you can get in they will train you.

To some extent.

The guys I knew who went that route still had to do all the formal classes and such for an A&P. It took them a while-but in general, they learned all the practical stuff on the job.

Things may have changed, but delta didn't used to do any of the school or pay for it. Not sure they would be that hard up for mechanics now.

Couldn't hurt to do some digging and see what's what these days. My info is dated.

I would recommend the chair force for the lifestyle def. Go to dobbins and talk to the reserves. Get the raining and live a regular life during the week.

What I know from my sons and other friends. AF isn’t as easy as it was back in the Cold War. Although they are still treated better than the other branches.

I'm always leery of anything heavily advertised on radio or tv. I love the "the average salary of an airline technician in Atlanta is over $70,000" (or whatever they say). But what does it cost to get there? I mean, great. I could go to Emory Law and come out making 6 figures, but I'll be $250k in the hole.

I'm a tired old A&P since 1982. You've gotten some good pointers here.

go military, get the training with a paycheck. You can get your ticket while you're in.

Not bad advice. If I had it to do over, I'd consider that.

21 months and 46k for everything I would need. They offer the test to get the license if that's what you're asking. I'm not too well versed in everything about the subject so you'll have to bear with me.

WAAAY too much money. The private "institutes" tend to be mills for generating student loans.

Middle Georgia State College is a good alternative and probably cheaper.

https://www.mga.edu/aviation/index.php

Very good school. I know a couple of young guys who are mechanics at Delta now who went there just a few years ago. State public college too, so much, much cheaper, especially if you qualify for HOPE scholarship.

I went to South Georgia Technical College in Americus, GA. My room, board and tuition for TWO YEARS was $2,400 TOTAL but that was a long, long time ago. Books and tools were extra.

It ain't a bad gig and you can make very good money but be prepared to follow wherever the job leads and be ready to work some long, odd hours and shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. I've about run my course. I've got 17 months and 18 days left. :bolt:

What I know from my sons and other friends. AF isn’t as easy as it was back in the Cold War. Although they are still treated better than the other branches.
nothing worth doing is supposed to be easy. However the AF still maintains the highest standard of living amongst the branches. Its all comparative to today versus yester years

I'm always leery of anything heavily advertised on radio or tv. I love the "the average salary of an airline technician in Atlanta is over $70,000" (or whatever they say). But what does it cost to get there? I mean, great. I could go to Emory Law and come out making 6 figures, but I'll be $250k in the hole.

Can be misleading.

Some mechanics do pretty well, others not so much. All depends where you work.

If the OP doesn't have luck in ATL, maybe one of the assembly jobs at Charleston (boeing) or Mobile (airbus) would be a good idea.

I didn't have it all figured out when I was 25 (hell, not sure I have it all figured out now,) but if the OP likes mechanical stuff, the A&P path would probably be a good way to go.

I didn't have it all figured out when I was 25 (hell, not sure I have it all figured out now,).

Don't feel bad about that. Just when I think I have it figured out, I have those moments where I go "I don't know what the **** I'm doing, do I?"

The running joke with me and my friends is "we're all supposed to be married with kids, but instead we're ****ing off and trying to see who can out drink who, or who can tip another guy's kayak in snake infested waters."

Back
Top Bottom