• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aviation Institute of Maintenance

Op I know nothing about the school you mentioned but I'm in my 28th year of aircraft maintenance (military, corporate, airline, rotary wing, fixed wing) and could probably answer most of your questions regarding the career field. Feel free to pm me with any.

What I know from my sons and other friends. AF isn’t as easy as it was back in the Cold War. Although they are still treated better than the other branches.

It is by far the easiest branch overall. Of course they have certain AFSCs that are grueling, but single rooms and heads from E-1 up. Plus golf courses, lots of golf courses.

Middle Georgia State College is a good alternative and probably cheaper.

https://www.mga.edu/aviation/index.php
MGA has aviation programs in several places in the state, including Atlanta. State of GA designated them as THE school for all things airplane. They even run a full service plane repair shop in Macon.

I am an A&P and I know a couple of the instructors that work there. 20 years ago I paid 15k for 18 months of instruction to get my ticket. I did 4 years in the Air Force in an unrelated field. I just spoke with a guy who got out after 20 in the navy working on F-18’s.
If you do join the military, document everything and take advantage of the college courses available. The squid was telling me about one of the branches of service that was geared up to Discharge members with complete paperwork to have the local fisdo sign off on their A&P upon discharge.
More importantly the college opportunity could place them in a better position than just a mechanic.
USAF aircraft mechanic program

Try to find a state run program. Private schools like you mention exist mainly to separate you from your money. I'm sure you would get the licenses, but the cost is a bit much. I would go the military/reserve route. I was a mechanic with Northwest for 16 years, avionics only.

Go military and document every class and take some of the free and cheap college level stuff offered to enlisted troops. Get out them get a contract job working in the middle east. My friends brother does this and makes strong money

Go military and document every class and take some of the free and cheap college level stuff offered to enlisted troops. Get out them get a contract job working in the middle east. My friends brother does this and makes strong money

Yep. I know a guy who is an engine mech over there and makes $17k/month. That is not a typo. Only catch is he can only come stateside once a year otherwise he loses the tax benefits.

I took the civilian route, have been an a&p since 2001, IA since 2012. It's an awesome career. Have worked general aviation small single engine aircraft, currently work for Delta. Getting my licenses was one of the most interesting and rewarding things I have done. I went to Clayton state, but the maintenace school is gone.

As someone that has been in the industry, I've known 3 amts that went to AIM. One of them was wOrth less to the point of not knowing how to use a torque wrench, or how to remove spark plugs without breaking them. He had his license, but after working with him it was obvious the school handed it to him without teaching him anything. Like all schools, you get out what you put in, but this was to the point of absurdity. The other 2 were decent mechanics.

I have known a few mid ga students, all seemed to be competent and capable. If I recall it was more affordble as well. Not sure if the Hope Grant is still around, but when it was I paid $75 a semester. If it is, Mid ga may have it as I think it is also an accredited college, but honestly not sure how it works now.

Delta also hires Aircraft Support Mechanics, which are basically junior mechanics without the rating. There is a program to use the job experience to get your a&p licenses as well. Keep an eye on the delta careers website. Job experience needed is limited, as are the responsibilities.

Whatever you decide to do, do it now. 45k is nothing for a career you can be proud of. Even if you don' work on planes, the background and knowledge gained can lead to other things. I know many an a&p who never turned a wrench out of school on planes, but got jobs with oil rigs, manufacturing plants, car dealerships, theme parks, etc...

Back
Top Bottom