• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Back In My Day

Back in the day my mom used kerosene on our cuts. Must have worked.

My dad was a butcher and his hands were all scarred up from knife cuts. His "old fashioned" remedy...he was born in 1892...when he got a serious cut was to get a piece of waxed paper, put a couple tablespoons of sugar on it and moisten it with enough turpentine to make a paste, then apply paste to wound. It would heal up quickly with no infection, although it probably stung like a sumbitch on a fresh cut. Fortunately I didn't ever get a serious enough cut to get "treated".

Dad was born in 1911 and that’s what he and his brother and sisters did.

I remember kerosene lamps in 1943-1944 and even with those during blackouts we had to hang blankets and quilts over the windows and go outside to be sure no light could be seen.

I remember kerosene lamps in 1943-1944 and even with those during blackouts we had to hang blankets and quilts over the windows and go outside to be sure no light could be seen.
I used to sit and listen to Daddy a lot with those kind of stories all the time. Wish I could now but he passed in 1994 at age of 83.

We couldn’t afford fancy flavored baby aspirin - pain, but more often than not, fever for us children, was managed by a Bayer aspirin and water melted in a spoon.

I’m convinced my brothers and I were the originators of the duck lip pose because of the extraordinary bitterness of this concoction.

To this day I can take a BC powder without water if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b6be03790c4b089ea7b0314a59f5de60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People ( and I mean smart educated people) don't believe me when I say we played mumbly peg at recess WITH THE POCKET KNIVES WE BROUGHT TO SCHOOL -

Course they don't know what recess is either.

What was "bad" and would get you a whipping was playing for "keeps" because that was gambling.

Gambling was bad, throwing dangerous weapons at each other was good -- different times all around.

Back
Top Bottom