Back-up Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawja clay

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
The Georgia Power grid where I live is very unstable. Appears they save money not trimming trees. Power is out 2-3 times a month with minor winds. Outage from 3-17 hrs. If there is a major storm I'm sure it will be days to restore power. Ok I feel better. It's time for me to handle my problem. Im looking for suggestions on manufacture and size of home generator.
Not operating hear pump, hot water tank or stove. I have fireplace with plenty of wood, Big a Green Egg and a Coleman stove.

Needs or wants:
Whole house lights (not all at once)
Microwave, coffee pot
Refrigerator
2 freezers
Garage door, tv, satellite, Internet

I'm looking at Generact 7500E. Yes I'm hiring an electrician to wire outlet to my panel.

Did I forget anything?

Suggestion on type, size and wiring configuration?

In my last house I had a back up panel wired in. It was fine, but overly complicated.

Currently I use a parallel system only hooked to the incoming line from the genset. Essentially an emergency power bus, with no way to hook it to the grid. Separate wiring, breakers, and outlets.

I used different colored outlets located adjacent to the grid powered outlets, and wired everything to current code. It requires physically unplugging from the grid and plugging circuits into outlets that need power. Lighting is via lamps, not wall switched lighting, though wall switches could be used of one desired.

Quick, easy and simple.

Good for you, it's a nice feeling and will give you some peace of mind when it's needed.
I've had mine for almost 20 years now, I've only needed it a half a dozen times, but we loved it every time.
(We have a 6 circuit patch panel that we plug the genny into.)

Make a plan for the evenings when it's cold.
Plan to shut the generator off and use a kerosene heater or two, maybe the fireplace or a wood stove to keep you warm at night. After 10 or 11pm you really should shut off the genny for the night, unless you live far off from others.

Buy a good quality Alladin lamp for light after the genny is out. They put out a lot of light and burn kerosene with no smell at all. That and some of those liquid candles and you're living large!

And write up some instructions! Here's a copy of mine to work from.

To Operate the Generator for Emergency Power

Follow these instructions in order and do not skip any steps.

Take the large black cable and insert female end into the Emergen breaker box and twist it clockwise to lock it in place.

Open the garage door and move the generator outside, into the rain, snow or whatever, but outside. (Or you will die!)

Plug the male end into the generator and turn clockwise to lock it in place.

Check the oil level on the generator, if it’s low add oil slowly through the same hole you checked the oil level through. Do not overfill! (Or the generator will die!)

(The oil in the generator should be checked every 5 hours, if the oil level is low enough for the generator to suffer damage it will automatically shut down. You will then need to add oil and turn the generators on/off switch off then back on to start it again.

Check the gas level. (Without gas it will never come alive in the first place.) If it’s low add gas but do not fill all the way to the top. This will cause gas to spray out the gas cap and cause a fire hazard. (Another way to die!)

Move generators choke to start position, all the way to the left.

Flip generator toggle switch, located near the pull cord to run. (The dash position)

Pull starter cord, when generator starts move choke slowly all the way to the right.

Close garage door.

Push the top of the toggle switch labeled ‘F’ in the garage overhead lights will now have power.
Wait 10 seconds.
Push the top of the toggle switch labeled ‘A’ in the refrigerator will now have power.
Wait 10 seconds.
Push the top of the toggle switch labeled ‘D’ the freezers will now have power
Wait 10 seconds.
Push the top of the toggle switch labeled ‘B’ in the living room will now have power.
Wait 10 seconds.
Remove the tape from the bottom of the toggle switch labeled ‘E’ and push the top in the downstairs sump pump will now have power. (The downstairs bathroom, utility room and upstairs kitchen sink. All empty into the sump. Try not to use the downstairs bathroom and kitchen sink. If the power for the sump pump fails or the breaker flips you will have a terrible mess! I mean TERRIBLE!)

Wait 10 seconds.

Push the top of the toggle switch labeled ‘C’ in the furnace will now have power and you’ll have heat.

Recap: USE AS LITTLE POWER AS YOU CAN! The gas in the generator will last longer. Keep fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use as little power with upstairs lights as possible. Do not use the downstairs bathroom and limit the amount of water down the drain in the kitchen sink. Turn the heat down to a reasonable temperature. Open the flue on the fireplace, start a fire. Break out the emergency marshmallows and the camping gear and make believe you’re camping in your own little cottage in the Alaskan wilderness.

OH! And remember to check the gas and oil level at least every 5 hours.

When electrical power returns

Push the bottom of all six toggle switches in. Any order will do. All appliances connected to those circuit breakers will now be off generator power.

Put the tape back on the bottom of switch ‘E”

Open garage door.

Turn off generator, by moving it’s toggle switch to the zero position.

Unhook cable at generator, Twist counter clockwise and pull.

Bring generator inside.

Unhook cable at Emergen Switch. Twist counter clockwise and pull.

Coil cable and hang on generators handle.

Close garage door.

Check and refill generator oil and gas for next use.

You can use an automatic transfer switch so your generator is always tied in to the panel but they're usually expensive.When your power drops out it switches over to the generator circuit.and starts the generator(on expensive versions) or you need to crank it manually if it's doesn't have a starter.Most of the generators people install in their houses aren't big enough to run the whole house so you will need to cut off some of the breakers to keep from over taxing the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom