• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Back-up Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a camper and have been looking into a small inverter generator. I figure I can use it for camping and when we have power outages also. Looking at a Champion 3400 that runs on gasoline or LP.

On the subject of a generator for the camper.
I have the Honda, it is super quiet. I can run it all night during the cold weather without bothering anyone.
Loud generators are not appreciated by other campers .....

The little Honda goes 13 hours on a 1/2 gallon of gas.
(I bought the 1,000, if I had it to do over again I would have bought the 2,000)

The battery on the camper will not power the fan for the furnace all night, even if you have it on very low.
Even if you plug the camper into the generator, the on-board battery charger charges slower than the juice is being pulled out, so that won't keep the furnace running all night.

The solution was to buy a good battery charger that checks the battery voltage and powers itself up or down.
Connect that to the battery and plug it into the generator. The battery itself will give you 5 or 6 hours and with the charger connected you're good until the genny runs out of gas.

A half hour the next day when it warms up and the battery is fully charged......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom