• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Background check delay?

dadams

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
59   0
Reaction score
About a week ago went into local gun store found something I wanted as usual and purchased it. At that point I realized my permit had expired. My fault completely. Did the background check and purchased the gun in and out 10min. Went applied for a new permit. Yesterday wondered into the gun store and proceeded to purchase another pistol. Did my background check and it come back delayed. Paid for the gun since I was committed to purchase and left the store. Got home new permit in the mail of course lol. Called today still no gun. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this. Ask the gun store owner about it but he got offended and sid it's not our fault. At no time did I ever say or state it was they're fault I've purchased alot of guns lol. So that's why I'm posting here so nobody gets upset about a simple question.

Yea just never have had a background check delayed. I realize gun sales are going nuts right now but was just something new to me. Thanks for your response.

You said still no gun. Does that mean that once it’s delayed, they can’t release the gun until they hear back NICS, ever with your new permit? Kind like, once that ball is rolling, they have to see it through?

That's what I was told. Its something new to me I've never experienced it. He said even though my new permit had arrived it wasnt going to do any good. Dont really understand but was hoping somebody had some insight.

They said they couldn't release the gun to me which was fine but dont understand if you show up with my new permit 10min later. Law is law I understand just kinda crazy I thought.

You said still no gun. Does that mean that once it’s delayed, they can’t release the gun until they hear back NICS, ever with your new permit? Kind like, once that ball is rolling, they have to see it through?
Yes, once a background check is done and a delayed response is received you have to wait till it either says proceed or the 3 days pass for the brady sell date.
The reason they come back delayed is usually that NICS is swamped that day or that particular time and don't want to waste too much time on the ones that don't come back immediately as proceed. At least that is the way it seems. I had 4 out of 5 come back delayed one day last week and the next day I only ran two and both came back immediately with proceed.

Thanks for response was just wondering since I have never experienced this.
Yea, it seems crazy I know but the carry permit is issued by the state and the NICS check is done by the FBI and once you have gone with the federal system you have to wait for their results. If I were the dealer and I sold it to you based on the permit then a day or two later the NICS check came back as denied then I would be in trouble. 99 44/100 percent chance that it will either turn into a proceed or the brady sell date will come up and you can proceed anyway.

Back
Top Bottom