• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backpack Recommendations

asdf

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Currently I run a Kelty Redwing and while it has held up to abuse remarkably well I want something that fits my body type more comfortably before I jump into the bigger packs for long treks.

So the problem with the kelty... where the straps meet my neck is just too damn tight, it grinds on my neck and ends up pinching the mess out the front of my shoulders.

So I'm asking... What is the most comfortable pack that can really handle rough hikes and being filled to the utmost capacity without splitting at the seams.

I will say Kelty 100% makes a great product, I just wish it fit my body type... You're lucky if they fit your frame, I'm jealous

I have never been able to get away from an external frame pack even tho I have bought many internal/no frame that I tried out and traded off

A Swedish LK35 is a bit heavy but the straps can be moved for wider shoulders. Many more modern and lighter weight packs have this option too

Go to REI and try on every bag in the store
Better yet, have them measure your torso and adjust an adjustable internal frame pack to that length, then load it up with sandbags and walk around with it for a bit. Then, tell the salesperson you need to think about it, then go home and order it on Amazon. (It's okay, they don't work on commission.) It sounds like your torso is too long for the pack you're running. Also, you would probably benefit from a pack with load lifter straps, which snug the load in up top and transfer more of the shoulder strap resistance to you chest instead of your shoulders.
image3.jpeg

images.jpg

The 50, I'm six foot
A higher volume internal frame pack will probably rise above your shoulders. Make sure it has load lifters and you should be good to go. You probably have a longer torso. I can't remember if the Redwing 50 also comes in a long version. Either way, it isn't adjustable and doesn't have load lifters. These are premium features that drive up price, expect to pay $250-$400 for an adjustable length internal frame with all the bells and whistles. Or, you can go on REIoutlet.com and try to snag last year's model at a discount. Also, they periodically have sales and up to 20% member discounts. Either way, if you plan to log serious miles; it's a buy once, cry once type of deal. And, after just 3 or 4 high mileage days that don't end with you hating your life, that extra investment will seem cheap by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom