• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backstraps down!! First suppressed kill!

A 130 grain projectile is still supersonic through a can right? Did the can have much of a pop when you fired a 130 grain through it? I’ve got some 208 grain .300BO I want to hunt suppressed with. I’m just afraid to. I’ve always been taught the higher velocity the bigger a knockdown punch. I may hunt suppressed with a .300BO before the season ends but not sure how much knockdown I’ll have when I go below 1100 fps. Any comments based on experience?

Shoot what you want and don't worry about the sound. My LR308 with either of the 30 cal cans is quieter than a 10/22 being fired. My 7.62x39 AR with the cans sounds like a canned 9mm. You just get a supersonic crack in the woods that is more noticeable. Shot placement is just more important when shooting subsonic ammo and make sure you have the correct bullet for the speed.

A 130 grain projectile is still supersonic through a can right? Did the can have much of a pop when you fired a 130 grain through it? I’ve got some 208 grain .300BO I want to hunt suppressed with. I’m just afraid to. I’ve always been taught the higher velocity the bigger a knockdown punch. I may hunt suppressed with a .300BO before the season ends but not sure how much knockdown I’ll have when I go below 1100 fps. Any comments based on experience?

I'm not the expert to ask but velocity doesn't necessarily give you increased "knock down power". What it does do is aid in getting 2 things, greater expansion of the projectile and more penetration. Those factors lead to generally more damage than a heavier bullet flying considerably slower. A 208 grain 30 caliber bullet shot subsonic will slow incredibly fast and drop rapidly. You should be fine shooting it subsonic and suppressed (I do that's why 300BO is awesome!) Just limit your shots to inside a 100 yards because shot placement will be even more crucial.

There is no such thing as knockdown power in a deer caliber and there is no such thing as a deer that dies instantly unless you get spine, head or autonomic plexus. Subsonic 30 caliber ammo is sub-par on deer. Run the supers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The 130 grain Barnes loads are supersonic. My setup is rather quiet, even with that load. I’ve only punched paper with Subs, so I cannot give an opinion regarding them.

Back
Top Bottom