• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bad luck......

I never buy a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it. That's when the price finally matches up to what it's actually worth. I always plan on spending around $1500 on something that needs repairs shortly after I get it. I still come out WAY ahead on the deal and run that vehicle to well over 300,000 miles before something breaks that I won't pay to fix. I've done this with Ford, Chevy, Toyota and in process with two Nissans, but all of them have been V8s. I've got a V6 Honda that's still running strong with over 200,000 miles on it, but have had to do a lot of smaller repairs to it.

I have tried to do this with Mitsubishi, Kia and Land Rover. None of them have been worth it. The Land Rover was a particularly POS.

NEVER get the extended warranty on a used vehicle. Try to find a dealership that includes something like a 30 day warranty on major systems.

Not a good one

Yes, a good one can be easily had for that. Do your homework and you can find one.

Ford does not make fuel pumps, they buy one from a pump manufacturer and stick it in a motorcraft box and triple net the price. There are several name brand manufacturers that supply all the OEM pumps. And those pumps are available without paying Ford their markup.

unless you have a lift or a pit to work under it may be a pain in the ass to drop that tank
upload_2020-1-26_10-10-24.jpeg

6 bolts are all that hold the bed on. Remove them and jack it up, no need to drop the tank. Plus, it makes it easier to cut the access door in the bed for your next pump change. Your fuel pump WILL fail again in a few years.
I just had the original water pump replaced at 283,000 miles. I'm expecting a cascade of issues to pop up if I don't buy something else in a few months. Driving back and forth to Greenville is going to take a toll on the '06 Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom