• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bad News for those who live near Hwy 20 in Cherokee County

heavyd

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
There is a wealthy business man trying to put in an amphitheater for concerts and a winery (really a fancy bar) off of Hwy 20 and Clearwater Trail. It's close to Sutallee Baptist Church. This so called amphitheater is inside of a neighborhood with 5 acre lots. So far, he has pushed planning and zoning to such an extent that the 11,000 sq. ft. commercial building and multiple parking lots were allowed without giving the neighbors notice and without a public hearing. All of this is going on in an agriculturally zoned lot in an agricultural neighborhood.

The winery is called Big Door Vineyards. They are sticking it to every day people in the small Clearwater Trail neighborhood. It's going to drive down their property value because no one wants to live next to a loud bar and amphitheater. I suspect the winery will then buy everyone out after their property isn't worth anything.

Unfortunately, my farm is just through the woods. An amphitheater will kill my property value as well. More than anything, I want peace and quiet like all the rest of my neighbors. Well, guess what. My neighbors and I are going to fight this like hell.

The winery's website is bigdoorvineyards.com. Since I made phone calls to the Commissioner and planning and zoning, the winery has changed its website. It began as offering 1,000 person concerts day and night with bars, food, et cetera. They are now back pedaling, trying to cover their tracks. We'll see how the website changed as time goes on.

I need help from my neighbors. Anyone that lives within 10 miles of the winery in Cherokee County can help.

Please call Commissioner Bob Kovacs at 678-493-6000. It wouldn't hurt to call the other Commissioners as well. Also, call the Director of Planning and Land Use, Jeff Watkins. 678-493-6107 He's the one who pushed this project through under our noses. Vicki Taylor Lee is another important contact at 678-493-6105. She is the zoning administrator.

I am working on a petition. I sent a demand letter to the above parties today. Please PM me if your are one of my Cherokee neighbors and are willing to sign our petition to stop this injustice.

Thank you,
Dean Phillips

Here in Douglas county we have a civic action page on Facebook and a lot of people network on there. I know, FB sucks, but is a good tool for local networking. I would get it out there if I were you, and if you already haven't.

Here in Douglas county we have a civic action page on Facebook and a lot of people network on there. I know, FB sucks, but is a good tool for local networking. I would get it out there if I were you, and if you already haven't.

Good point. I hear there is a Sutallee Facebook page. Maybe one of our members can post it up.

I really hate the corrupt, sneaky, spot zoning with no public input. Happened to me in Gwinnett when the 17 acre farm across from my horse farm got turned into a starter house neighborHOOD on 1/4 acre lots. (Everything around it zoned ag...large farms).
We knew nothing till the bulldozers broke ground.

My property value plunged ...ending up selling for .40cents on the dollar.

Fight hard.

I really hate the corrupt, sneaky, spot zoning with no public input. Happened to me in Gwinnett when the 17 acre farm across from my horse farm got turned into a starter house neighborHOOD on 1/4 acre lots. (Everything around it zoned ag...large farms).
We knew nothing till the bulldozers broke ground.

My property value plunged ...ending up selling for .40cents on the dollar.

Fight hard.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. This happens to too many people. Most can't afford to fight it. Heck, I wouldn't be able to if I weren't an attorney doing my own legal work.

I appreciate your story. This stuff is a real life horror.

Back
Top Bottom