• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Banjo

Wow this is a very old thread.

Been playing guitar since I was 9 y/o and I still have a lot To learn.
If I could read music I’d be dangerous but I don’t have the patience for that let alone tab.
I play by ear and learn best by watching YouTube vids.

I like playing other people’s stuff but mostly I play things I made up on my own.

My daughter got me a 6 string banjo that you tune like a guitar-it’s geared for guitar players that want to give banjo a try without relearning everything they know.
It seems to work best when tuned in open G.
I can play some stuff on the piano but still need to learn all the chords.
Once you learn the chords the rest all falls into place.
My dumb self is even pretty impressive on the drum kit although I’ve never owned a set of drums but have sat down on others peoples sets quite a few times.
What I really need is a sound proof room so I can practice without annoying the neighbors.
I like to play classic rock stuff, blues, blue grass, and whatever else I can learn.
I definitely have my own style and people say my original stuff Sounds like Jerry Reed had a love child with Dickie Betts, spoiled by Jimmy Page and Steve Winwood.
Too shy to play in a band setting but I’ve jammed with some good guitarists.
My oldest Brother is a professional drummer.
He’s played with several bands over the years and was key to my love of music.
When I was a kid in the 70’s -early 80’s he always had bands jamming in the basement with lotsa hot girls hanging around.
Good times.
We had so many graduation parties in our back yard with the band cranking out some wicked tunes.

Reactions: MRH
THE ODT RANT&RAVERS

These old threads would drift off to oblivion and be forgotten if not for you, Fastfish66!

My daughter got me a 6 string banjo that you tune like a guitar-it’s geared for guitar players that want to give banjo a try without relearning everything they know.
It seems to work best when tuned in open G.

There's a good reason for that. Standard banjo tuning is in open G. :) Now that you know, you should pick up a standard banjo sometime. They are awesome! I really enjoyed reading your post.

Played in a lot of bands in a lot of towns. Played professionally all my adult life. Played for free many times too. I play several instruments and will play more as they come my way. If you hand a musician an instrument, they will get something out of it. It may be good or bad, but they will get a sound out of it. It's what musicians do.

These old threads would drift off to oblivion and be forgotten if not for you, Fastfish66!

There's a good reason for that. Standard banjo tuning is in open G. :) Now that you know, you should pick up a standard banjo sometime. They are awesome! I really enjoyed reading your post.

Played in a lot of bands in a lot of towns. Played professionally all my adult life. Played for free many times too. I play several instruments and will play more as they come my way. If you hand a musician an instrument, they will get something out of it. It may be good or bad, but they will get a sound out of it. It's what musicians do.

Thanks man.
I definitely Miss those days.
Nothin like hanging out with the band after their jam session.
Beer, cool cars and hot chicks plus a little taboo stuff swearing to keep my mouth shut.
Usually involved giving me a beer so I didn’t talk.
Used to get kisses from the girls if I would play a tune on the guitar for them cause I was so shy.
Almost passed out once when this hot red head kissed me full on the lips after playing a Rush song I learned when I was 11.
She made this huge production about it and crawled across the floor, puckered up and planted one on me which seemed like it lasted forever.....I fell backwards off the milk crate......explosive laughter.
My Brother still brings it up every now and then....haha.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom