• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Chopping Advice

Well, its a shame the supply of top quality but inexpensive war mausers and Interarms mausers and VZ mausers and early commercial set trigger mausers is dried up and gone forever.

So, I spose folks'll have to cut they gunsmith teeth on them mosins. But is sure seems a shame to me, them poor younger fellers chawin on a dried up ol doggy doughnut they found layin outin tha yard when us oldsters got to gnaw on them good silverqueen ears!

But yeah, post pics and before and after targets. Betcha lots of fellers'll be suprized to see decent groups before and after.

Well, its a shame the supply of top quality but inexpensive war mausers and Interarms mausers and VZ mausers and early commercial set trigger mausers is dried up and gone forever.

So, I spose folks'll have to cut they gunsmith teeth on them mosins. But is sure seems a shame to me, them poor younger fellers chawin on a dried up ol doggy doughnut they found layin outin tha yard when us oldsters got to gnaw on them good silverqueen ears!

Sawot you say?

A lee case trimmer will do the job. Use a .308 case length gauge as a pilot and chuck the case trimmer in a drill if you want to speed it up.

Heres before after filing it

and here's after
A lee case cutter is about $12 and a case length gauge is about another $4 if you dont already have one.
Takes just a few minutes to do.

The old school gunsmiths crowned many a rifle with a slotted head brass screw in a drill and some lapping compound'
a dab of cold blue and you're done.

Last edited:
They make tools to do a reasonable crown job with a drill. That being said, the right way is on the lathe. If you want a Mosin barrel chopped and crowned at 24" it can be done pretty easy. That's long enough just to stick through the head on my lathe. It can be done for a lot cheaper than buying the tool. Any competent machinist can do it. Not something you'd need to drive around the world to get someone to do.
So you're saying my pipe cutter method is all bad?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom