• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Chopping Advice

thanks for the info everyone, I'm either going to do it myself or take it do Dobbs one day because I've never been down to his shop and would love to do some business there. Probably end up doing it myself because I'm 2 hours away from anything. I'll post up before and after pictures but be patient it'll be a week or so. This is my end goal but with the shorter barrel. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/cd/59/3bcd59e77abe22e74ee7b42f2dc8f2ed.jpg

Focus on the objective, even pressure relief around the bullet as it departs the barrel perpendicular to the crown. Make sure to clean up the rifling at the crown as well. The method doesn't matter if you can accomplish this objective. Better tooling makes the process faster and generally more precise. Buying minimal tooling to do it one time may not be cost effective over sharing tools or having a gunsmith complete the work averaging the cost of tooling across several jobs. Minimum tooling generally cost around $60 plus $30/caliber.

You could just chop it off as accurately as you can, clean it up with a file, shoot it, and then go to a pro to square it up if needed.

Check out YouTube for some bubba ideas.

I cut off 4" from a .22LR rifle barrel once. Cut with a hacksaw. Cleaned up the cut with wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood.
Chamfered the opening with a chamfering / screw head countersink tool in the end of an electric drill.
Polished that chamfering cut with some car finish polishing compound on a section of rounded-tip dowel that I spun in that same drill.

I think the rifle was slightly less accurate after I did this, but it was only noticeable shooting from the bench with a high magnification scope.
For all practical purposes, accuracy didn't change.
I didn't test this rifle with several brands of ammo AFTER the cut, either. Maybe that would have give better results, as any change in weight or stiffness of a barrel changes the harmonics.

Well I chopped it. Haven't crowned it yet. This where I'm at now in the process. I can take negative comments too. So far I'm digging it though.

Attachments

• 20150802_192111.jpg
    20150802_192111.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 186
Did an old beater 30-30 years ago .

Cut it down to a trapper sized to carry in the swamps.

Used a sawzall with a metal blade, filed it square,crowned it with a drill bit ,got a new sight from midway.

Sighted it in ,killed a dillernad ,killed a deer ..

But man is it loud !!!

Back
Top Bottom