• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Chopping Advice

View attachment 545192
Yes take it to a gunsmith, they will put in a lathe and CENTER the bore of the gun (not the outside of the barrel, which can be dramatically off) and then cut it while its in the lathe. This is the ONLY way to get a square end. Otherwise you will have a non square end, and your bullet will wobble, or tumble as it comes out of the gun.

I haven't had any work done at Dobb's b/c its a hike from this side of town, but he gets excellent reviews.

I have had Dave at Dave's Gunsmith cut, thread and crown a number of barrels, he is excellent and reasonable as well. The last threading job he did was $50 on my 1903/a3.

http://davesgunsmithing.com/

If you do it yourself you are basically ruining any chance at having an accurate gun.

If it is important, then it is important and you will pay for what you get. There is a big difference between repairing a damaged crown and making a great crown:

20150916_092609.jpg

IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5938.JPG

25 years ago I was giving somebody a 22 rifle as a gift.
This was for a person of small stature . I had a Marlin model 25.
The original barrel was really long--maybe 22 inches. I wanted it 16 1/4. I hacksawed it and I created a "crown" using a either a chamfer tool or a very large drill bit --something like a three-quarter inch steel drill bit .

I was in a hurry, so I never bothered cleaning up the cut with a file, or stone, sandpaper, or a belt sander, or anything else.

I also cut an inch off of the stock and replaced the plastic buttplate .

The result is that the gun is nearly as accurate as it was before. I think I lost a tiny percent of accuracy (maybe 10% larger group sizes.)
That could be due to barrel harmonics --not just the crown job.
The gun fits the shooter much better, and everybody who fires it likes its small size and quick handling characteristics.

Pics: Taken yesterday, 25 years after the DIY gunsmith work.

View attachment 1252854 View attachment 1252855
25 years ago I was giving somebody a 22 rifle as a gift.
This was for a person of small stature . I had a Marlin model 25.
The original barrel was really long--maybe 22 inches. I wanted it 16 1/4. I hacksawed it and I created a "crown" using a either a chamfer tool or a very large drill bit --something like a three-quarter inch steel drill bit .

I was in a hurry, so I never bothered cleaning up the cut with a file, or stone, sandpaper, or a belt sander, or anything else.

I also cut an inch off of the stock and replaced the plastic buttplate .

The result is that the gun is nearly as accurate as it was before. I think I lost a tiny percent of accuracy (maybe 10% larger group sizes.)
That could be due to barrel harmonics --not just the crown job.
The gun fits the shooter much better, and everybody who fires it likes its small size and quick handling characteristics.

Pics: Taken yesterday, 25 years after the DIY gunsmith work.
They sell a crowning tool for 22s on amazon for 6-8$. You chuck it in a drill, and do what ya got to do.

Back
Top Bottom