• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

huntin42

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Chris, GREAT DAY!
73   0
Reaction score
Hey, I have an older Mauser that was my dad's an I got when he passed away in 1997. The gun is very unique in the sense that it has some beautiful engraving done on the mag plate (2 bull elk), trigger guard (deer), an some designs around the bolt an receiver. It has the double (set) triggers and was rechambered/barrelled in .270. The gun has no identification other than a few stamps on the receiver that I've been unable to identify. It has an aftermarket stock in decent condition that I have not taken off to look for more identification marks - the barrel just has .270 on the side and that's it. I'm not familiar with older antique firearms. It seems as the barrel is not blued, doesn't have that gloss look. There is some light surface rust/pitting on it so may need to be sandblasted before reblueing. My end goal is to get the gun completely refinished in a shiny smooth gloss. I have talked to a guy about building a stock for it. I love the striped maple wood with a lot of character. Also, I want the stock to be made as a mannlicher stock - goes all the way to the end of the barrel. That being said, I would like the barrel cut down to between 18 an 22 inches. Most likely 20. Couple questions about this - is 18 to short for a .270 (I don't know the twist rate). I feel 22+ would be heavy an long for the mannlicher stock. I'm not worried about punching holes at 200 yards but I'd like to keep it as accurate as possible. The thought of porting also came to mind for 2 reasons - lighter recoil for my son and simply to add some uniqueness an character. Obviously it would have to be ported on just the top as the stock would be on the underside of the barrel. I have seen a lot of mannlicher stocks that use a band at the end of the barrel an then seen several that do not have anything wrapped around end of barrel. Ifor possible, I'd like to have front/rear iron sights installed an use see through scope rings. So other than what I've asked so far - any input or advice would be appreciated! I think I have someone to do the stock, but not certain, so may be looking for a really good carpenter to build stock. Then also looking for someone to cut/crown barrel, sandblast?? an regions action/barrel, and possibly port barrel an possibly install iron sights (will use scope either way, mainly want them for cosmetics). I'm not in any rush to have this done an still have a good bit of money I need to save up but looking to do barrel/action work first and stock last. Any rough estimate towards total cost would be appreciated too, an I know it varies tremendously, specially on the stock, I'm thinking roughly $1000 for everything but the stock may take it above that. Thanks for any input and/or advice! Hope everyone has a Blessed an Merry Christmas!! (Added pictures off of Google to give you a rough idea of what I'm going for - the last 3 are the gun now) Comments should be open, but feel free to PM me also.
- Chris

Attachments

• e96a93fa938797981e869ef6712fe777.jpg
    e96a93fa938797981e869ef6712fe777.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2234.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    2234.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2237.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    2237.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160823_202849-1.jpg
    20160823_202849-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 9746.jpeg
    9746.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160823_202957.jpg
    20160823_202957.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 40
You should have someone knowledgable look at this before its altered as you may have a collectable rifle and it would be a shame to ruin it. These older classic mausers are getting hard to find and they no longer make them

Yours appears to be a high end factory rifle. Given the caliber its likely a 1960s-ish mauser house product, not a gun produced by a 'custom gunsmith'. Sell it and buy what you want. Chopping it up, rebluing it, and scrapping the stock will have you converting about a $750ish rifle into a $300 rifle for about $1000 more in parts and labor.

18" to 20" 270, nah, get something 22 to 24" in that caliber. Weight is no real issue unless you stalk all day long.

You should have someone knowledgable look at this before its altered as you may have a collectable rifle and it would be a shame to ruin it. These older classic mausers are getting hard to find and they no longer make them

Any advice on who that'd be? I posted it in the c/r forum a whIle back an was told to try an find a mauser website but that was mainly it. Still have no idea who, when, or where it was manufactured. Those stamps are about the only thing on it other than a few #'s which I was told had to do with the powder charge?

Attachments

• 20160823_202928.jpg
    20160823_202928.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 29
It has European markings on the bolt. It was not made in USA. It was imported. It is engraved. It has highly desireable double triggers, especially if they are double set double phase.

Stock is very 60s ish and typical of the ones made fur American market. Start researching the mausers made in the 50s thru 70s for sale in America.

Call cherries, other auction houses, talk to appraisers. Visit old gunsmiths that have been in business since at least the 1960s, etc.

Its a fine rifle. $500 would be cheep/a steal. $1000 prolly too high. Don't F it up with modifications as it looks to be in good/great original condition. Chop up a Remington or Savage or Winchester if you need something to itch yer scratches.

Good luck.

Yours appears to be a high end factory rifle. Given the caliber its likely a 1960s-ish mauser house product, not a gun produced by a 'custom gunsmith'. Sell it and buy what you want. Chopping it up, rebluing it, and scrapping the stock will have you converting about a $750ish rifle into a $300 rifle for about $1000 more in parts and labor.

18" to 20" 270, nah, get something 22 to 24" in that caliber. Weight is no real issue unless you stalk all day long.

I almost got rid of it a while back an glad I didn't. Being that it was one of the very few things left to me by my dad who passed when I was 8 I'm going to hang onto it, so not very concerned about resell value.
I've always heard that .270s didnt fair to we'll out of the shorter barrels. However there are some Ruger Internationals in 270 that have sub 24" barrels. Not to concerned with weight for myself, just want a comfortable gun for my son to use when he gets old enough. I guess I don't want an old muzzle loader feel with the huge heavy 30" barrels that feel like you're trying to hold a 20lb weight straight out in front of ya when shooting free hand lol. Thanks for the reply!

Sharps40 Sharps40 thanks for the info! That about the most specific direction I've been pointed in so far. An I may end up getting it cleaned up an would like to take it to someone familiar with the double triggers an what not to check the function an mechanicals of it as I have never fired nor even chambered a round in it. Thanks again!!!

It was Dads. So, keep it as is. Clean, check only. If its DSDP trigger both will function the rifle. If its Double set, single phase, rear trigger will set only and front trigger fires the gun either set or unset. (its probably DSSP). As for weight, We in the south don't stalk much....too many good seats with shooting rails near bean and corn fields. Let the youngster shoot downloaded handloads from the bench and grow up into both the full load and the full length. Meantime, with care and good use, it'll continue to appreciate $$ and more family memories.

Chop ya a nice Savage....they deserve it!

Back
Top Bottom