• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Basic reloading question.

Chipping in two cents: Reloading is a discovery process. You can read a ton about it, and it's still eye opening when you first get your hands on some equipment, load some rounds, and go shoot them.

At one extreme, there are reloaders who want one machine and one method to reliably produce one type of ammo using the same process and components every time. And that's all they ever want.

At the other extreme, you become a reloading nut and enjoy the process as much or more than shooting, and you go a bit crazy constantly trying to better your process with new methods, new gear, multiple presses, many different powders, bullets, primers, calibers.

You won't know where you fall between those two extremes until you try it. Start with a basic kit like the one recommended by jeep78 early in the thread. See if you like reloading. If yes: Armed with even just a little experience, watching some videos and continuing this conversation here and in other forums, it will be much easier to figure out what you might want to try next and what your "ideal" setup is. I'm 16 years into my reloading career and I still haven't quite figured out the ideal. And that's half the fun.

Higher end equipment like Dillon will hold it's value better if you decide it's not for you, but even entry level stuff from Lee keeps a lot of it's value. They're in-demand tools. People are willing to buy them.

Good luck!

Before you buy find someone to show you how to reload. That way you know if you want to reload and what to buy or don't buy.

How much do you shoot a year. If you shoot thousands of rounds then reloading is the way to go. If you are shooting 500 to 1k then just buy a case of ammo.

If your getting into reloading, 9mm is one of the more problematic cartridges to do. The bigger the caliber-in pistols-, the easier it is to reload. But, 9mm is the cheapest.

You will need:
A tumbler
Tumbler media
A powder scale
A powder dispenser
A set of dies
A 9mm shell plate to hold the brass on the press, included with Lee Dies
A press

I might have missed an item or two.

How much it costs is up to you and depends on what you pick out.

Personally, I would not reload 9mm ammo, if that is all you would reload.

I load 40s&w more than any other caliber, and reloading saves me about 50%.

Go all in

Attachments

• 891CA190-2918-4A07-A46A-ADCFE82A3ECE.jpeg
    891CA190-2918-4A07-A46A-ADCFE82A3ECE.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
  • A5925095-DB69-4850-9238-55FF64E468B3.jpeg
    A5925095-DB69-4850-9238-55FF64E468B3.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom