• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Battling Addictions

luv_the_guv

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
16   0
Reaction score
I walked into Pops Outdoors in Demorest with a bare bones compound bow that I obtained from a fellow on ODT. I've never shot a bow and had no idea what to do with this thing.

About 45 minutes later, he had me completely set up and I even got a few shots under my belt. Awesome guys, I highly recommend them.

Anyways, I spent the rest of the afternoon flinging arrows into a target in the yard yesterday and I'll probably be doing the same today. It's all I've thought about since my first shot.

Am I addicted?

I decided to ensure my progress in my new hobby of archery by starting way down near the bottom of the equipment scale.
A few years ago, it was a fiberglass recurve bow with about a 25 lb. draw weight. No sights of any kind. Three fingers on the string.

Then a year ago I picked up a 40-year old Bear compound bow, probably first-generation technology. It's set to about 50 lbs peak with a 50% let-off. I shot it a few times and then had a rear peep sight tied-in to go along with the 4 brass front sight pins it came with. I had Mitch's archery shop in Canton stick on a cheap arrow rest, and set me up with a few good quality arrows with real fletching that a low-velocity bow of this generation needs.
At the same time, had Mitch add a D-loop string so I could use a newly-bought mechanical trigger (W/ wrist strap).
HUGE IMPROVEMENT in my accuracy, and thus my pleasure plinking in the backyard, shooting 20-25 yards.

I'm having fun with it, and since my gear is so old school out-of-date, anytime I feel the need to up my game I can always buy a better bow, or add a whisker biscuit instead of that cheap plastic arrow shelf, maybe put some string vibration dampeners on it...

I walked into Pops Outdoors in Demorest with a bare bones compound bow that I obtained from a fellow on ODT. I've never shot a bow and had no idea what to do with this thing.

About 45 minutes later, he had me completely set up and I even got a few shots under my belt. Awesome guys, I highly recommend them.

Anyways, I spent the rest of the afternoon flinging arrows into a target in the yard yesterday and I'll probably be doing the same today. It's all I've thought about since my first shot.

Am I addicted?
So since you live in Clarksville, let me guide you to a little known gem for archery lovers in North Georgia. If you go to the Tallulah Falls WMA there is a public archery range. It is set up like a put put course. You take the trail from one target to the next until you make the full loop. It's got quite a few variations. Very few people know about it but it is there.

Back
Top Bottom