• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bayonets... possibly a good idea?

Are bayonets a good idea for dealing with unarmed idiots?

• Yes

• No

• Chalupas

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shotgun Surgery

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
60   0
Reaction score
I've just recently thought that bayonets might be a good idea, specifically to prevent unarmed idiots who would get in your face even though you have a long gun. Consider two recent events where people, specifically of the unarmed variety, were dumb enough to try and take a long gun from someone who was armed. In both situations these unarmed people died.

1: The skateboard guy who knocked Kyle Rittenhouse to the ground that night of the riots in Wisconsin. After knocking Kyle down, he attempted to take Kyle's rifle from him by the muzzle, and as a response Kyle ended up bestowing upon him a Darwin Award.

2: This recent video of a homeowner having some raging idiot get into his face and then attempt to take the long gun from him, resulting in a dead raging idiot - https://teamtuckercarlson.com/news/...lf-defense-and-offers-some-important-lessons/

In both situations I'm wondering if having a bayonet on the long gun would have made these now-deceased idiots think twice before trying to take the long gun. If either shooter had a bayonet on their long gun and then pointed said bayonet at the person who was advancing towards them then maybe, just maybe, the primal instinct of "don't touch pointy!" would have made them think twice about ******* around and finding out? What do you think? Are bayonets a good measure to dissuade unarmed idiots from attempting to disarm you?

Edit: The theory is this. The people who get in the face of those who are armed with long guns clearly don't believe that the person holding the long gun is willing to shoot them. These people might, however, be willing to believe both that the person holding the long gun wont shoot them, but said person would be willing to jab at them with the bayonet. These people think they're calling a bluff when they try to take someone's long gun (and usually get shot because it wasn't a bluff), but they might not view the bayonet as a bluff because they see it as being less dangerous than the firearm its attached to and therefore the person holding the long gun might be more willing to use it.

I've just recently thought that bayonets might be a good idea, specifically to prevent unarmed idiots who would get in your face even though you have a long gun. Consider two recent events where people, specifically of the unarmed variety, were dumb enough to try and take a long gun from someone who was armed. In both situations these unarmed people died.

1: The skateboard guy who knocked Kyle Rittenhouse to the ground that night of the riots in Wisconsin. After knocking Kyle down, he attempted to take Kyle's rifle from him by the muzzle, and as a response Kyle ended up bestowing upon him a Darwin Award.

2: This recent video of a homeowner having some raging idiot get into his face and then attempt to take the long gun from him, resulting in a dead raging idiot - https://teamtuckercarlson.com/news/...lf-defense-and-offers-some-important-lessons/

In both situations I'm wondering if having a bayonet on the long gun would have made these now-deceased idiots think twice before trying to take the long gun. If either shooter had a bayonet on their long gun and then pointed said bayonet at the person who was advancing towards them then maybe, just maybe, the primal instinct of "don't touch pointy!" would have made them think twice about ******* around and finding out? What do you think? Are bayonets a good measure to dissuade unarmed idiots from attempting to disarm you?

Lol! A ****ing boom stick doesnt always deter people so I'm not sure the knife would. Maybe it could cause a less than lethal wound that would stop some one, but killing or injuring some one with a bayonet can still result in the same potential charges.

Every tool had a use, but if some one has firearm pointed at them and isn't worri d about you using it then I doubt a blade will do much either. Though I think you do have a point (get it!?) about some one being less likely to charge at something that they know will hurt them regardless of wether or not they think you have the willingness or intent to use it.

I went in to basic training at Ft Benning in 1981, the year they brought back bayonet drills to Infantry troops, although the National Guard troops may have been training with their units before that.
The entire week I had an image of the Daffy Duck cartoon in my head- 'Guard! Parry! Thrust! Spin!'
All I know is that I don't want someone to get close enough to me to have to try to remember anything from that long ago.
And I certainly don't want to be the old white dude shown on video with a fixed bayonet yelling 'Get off my lawn'.
Would it deter anyone? I don't know but it might make it harder for someone to take control of your gun.
I used to have a Mossberg 590 that had the parkerized finish and bayonet lug up front. If staring down the bore of a 12 gauge isn't going to get someone's attention would a knife on the end help?

Done!
CAAE3925-9F5C-4EC1-88F5-7DD1463205ED.jpeg

Lol! A ****ing boom stick doesnt always deter people so I'm not sure the knife would. Maybe it could cause a less than lethal wound that would stop some one, but killing or injuring some one with a bayonet can still result in the same potential charges.

Every tool had a use, but if some one has firearm pointed at them and isn't worri d about you using it then I doubt a blade will do much either. Though I think you do have a point (get it!?) about some one being less likely to charge at something that they know will hurt them regardless of wether or not they think you have the willingness or intent to use it.
My thinking, and this is trying to understand what is going on in the minds of people who are clearly not rational, is that they don't believe that the person holding a rifle is willing to shoot them dead. Otherwise they clearly wouldn't have done what they did. Maybe, though, they're more apt to believe that the person holding the rifle isn't willing to shoot them, but they might be willing to poke them with the bayonet. So essentially it's "That guy doesn't have the balls to shoot me, but he might be willing to give me a jab with that bayonet so I'll yell and scream from a few feet away instead."

I agree there's probably alot of psychological effect at the sight of a bayonet hanging off the end of your weapon.
However, in my opinion, I'd never retrieve a long gun as an intimidation factor (as in 1 of the mentioned cases), nor draw my pistol.
If I have to remove my pistol from it's holster, the decision will likely have already been made that it will be used for its intended purpose in defense of life.

Back
Top Bottom