• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BBC piston cutting

Thicker head gasket can work, depending on how much you need. Manufacturers wouldn't generally design with much excess material in a piston; excess weight is a real enemy in a piston.

New pistons, rings and a hone would be a good way to go if you've got it apart that far.

Too many variables imho to even consider risking, not to mention cost of the work involved to cut and debur among other things. Piston material, ch, pin location, age...
what is the end goal btw in regards to power and aspiration?

Pump gas friendly 468. Cruise town with fenderwells headers. It's solid roller cam, aluminum heads with a dominator. Makes more power than I need. Just want it to be more usable. Putting it in a 71 gmc 3/4 ton 4wd. The more research I do the more I find it is very common

going to open chamber square ports would put your compression ratio at about 10 3/4- 11 to 1 and still support the piston height. but depending on the type of piston manufacturer they can mill off a few hundredths.. and as a few said the thicker the head gasket or adding shims would get you down in compression. also retarding the timing and mixing 98oct with some sunoco 100 would work too.

getting a set of Kieth Black hyperutectics would be about what it would cost to take them out and have them machined.. just get the 10 to 1s or the 9.5 to 1 they run about 300$

You'll have to pay to trim and CC the pistons and rebalance the engine anyway. Might as well buy new pistons with the proper CC dome for the compression you desire.

Back
Top Bottom