• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beam scales

This for the past 30 years. Mine is, of course, the incarnation of this from 1991. The beam can't hide issues, and properly zeroed and used,...Zero problems with zero!

I’m set up in the garage it is climate controlled but I do turn the heat way down when I finish for the night.

My scale does not auto zero but I zero it pretty regular.

Yes sir the TAC powder is all I have at the moment.

I pulled a few apart and they are measuring 17.8gr
Tonight.
Gotcha, then yeah I would say it is safe to blame the scale and not environmental stuff. I would suggest a solid beam scale as your primary. I have used lee, RCBS and Ohaus. The 10-10 from rcbs is the best. However the 5-10 series is phenomenal. Heck for a period of time I used my Ohaus gram scale as my primary and used a simple Lee to verify. Point being mechanical beam scales are better than digital in nearly every single way, especially when it comes to longevity and a trustable zero.

You really need both. I have a RCBS 505 beam and a RCBS digital. I always verify when sorting out a load then go strictly to the digital. Much faster for me

I've never tried digital, but I've never been led astray by my beam. This Lyman 500 is the only scale I've ever used in my 26 years of reloading and it's right on the money as long as I do my part at setup.

20220122_193718.jpg

Evening guys
I have a digital Hornady scale that has lost its mind. Are the digital scales worth having or should I go with a beam scale. I loaded up 150 .223 with 23gr of TAC lastnight. Tonight according to my scale the same 23gr won’t fit in the case.
Hope u have a bullet puller!..I haven’t had a digital scale go nuts yet, but I have set my beam scales wrong before, giving me a hot load...that is when I changed to digital!

Love my digital. Have compared it to the beam scales, has always been dead on. As for my pistol rounds, I use the Lee autodisk and know about what it should be dropping, if it is way off, I would know for sure before it became a problem.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom