• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bear hunting questions?

Cant use bait, and consumable food, sardines, corn, bacon grease, etc. vanilla extract in a spray bottle, or any liquid scent product is legal. I wouldn’t worry with bear estrus (if you can find it somewhere) they breed in the early summer. Food is king this time of year, acorns acorns acorns. Someone said they are scavengers- this isn’t true, not for black bears. They may scavenge a carcass is they find one, and they will take deer fawns in the spring, especially the fresh dropped ones, but they are primarily eating plant material, soft and hard mass, grains, etc. their diet is remarkably similar to a deers during the fall and winter. We have a 1 day season, private land only, and only in 3 middle GA counties. If you want to hunt bears then the northern zone is the most reasonable place to do it. You’ll have to hunt them like deer. Find food, sign, setup, and wait. Or still hunt. Get some good boots, and a good pack. Dragging is NOT smart in the mountains. Quartering where they fall and packing the meat is the best option, and can be done solo, it just may take several trips.

Don't need to hunt over bait. Bears can identify a cooler. Doesn't need to be any food in it. Trust me on this

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_080713170.jpg
    IMG_20210729_080713170.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 10
Bears aren’t scavenging, nice to know. Vanilla extract in a spray bottle?? Ok I got my 10 gallon pump sprayer ready that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard. Lol
I’m just saying, scent attractants are legal. Edible bait, anything that can be consumed is illegal. They do scavenge, but it isn’t a regular dependable thing. You’re more likely to be arch buzzards and yotes on a carcass, especially with acorns on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom