• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bear Hunting!

Hillbilly Headbanger Hillbilly Headbanger - Remember earlier when I mentioned the Amicalola tract on Dawson Forest?

Here's their story it's an epic saga. :becky:

My son was in high school and had a play that afternoon, but he shot a deer and needed to go, so I took it to the Dawson Forest check out station for him.

While I was there a big young fella came up and asked for help getting a bear out of a boat on the Amicalola (about 1/4 mile from the check in station) so me and a buddy went to help.... This was at just about noon......

So the guy that's still with the boat is another big young country boy and he shot the bear a little before dark the night before with a .270 and it was DRT, but it was about 150 yards over the ridge down towards the river.

They didn't field dress it because he wanted to mount it whole, so they put their drag ropes on it and pulled.
And they pulled and they pulled and they pulled and they pulled and the bear stretched and it stretched and it stretched and it didn't move an inch. lol
(You should have heard them tell the story, they had me laughing so hard I was crying...)

After these two big young fella's admitted they couldn't pull this bear up the hill to the truck, they came up with plan B.

Plan B was for one of them to go back to his house and come back with a Jon boat so they could pull it UP the river, since they figured they weren't but a mile or so from the bridge near the check in station. :doh:

So the one guy spends the next few hours trying to stay warm on a cold autumn night next to a small fire he built while guarding the bear. His buddy got back and had dragged the Jon boat through the woods by 1AM.

They roll this bear 1/2 roll at a time down to the river, it took hours.
Then they went and pulled the boat down to the river.
(I understand it was very difficult to get the bear in the boat, but they persevered until they got him in.)

But the bear was heavy and the water was shallow, so the boat was no longer floating!
It became clear to them after just a very few minutes that walking along the shore with a rope around them tied to the boat while pulling it upstream wasn't going to work, because they kept bumping into rocks.

(Now I guess they're at Plan B.1)

So they got in the water and did whatever was required to get the boat to the bridge, it was the longest mile of their young lives and they were done tuckered when I saw them, an older man would have died that night, lol.
(The water was cold and it was a cold night, only the strenuous work probably kept them alive that autumn night!)

In all it took them about 16 hours to get that bear out of the woods!

Here's the kicker, when the state biologist put the bear on the scale it only weighed 272 pounds.
(That's lighter than my brother!!) :becky: (Imagine if it was a 550 pounder?)

Me being an older guy and a bit of a smart ass, asked the young fella that shot it, if he had to do it all over again, would he have shot the bear. His answer was NO! I'll NEVER shoot another bear!

That settled it for me. I'll never shoot a bear except in self defense.

So if you hunt in an area where 4 wheelers aren't allowed remember a few things.
1. Only hunt uphill !!
2. Bears S T R E T C H !!!!
3. Have plenty of strong young helpers on standby !!!

Good Luck! :thumb: :becky:
There's a reason I scouted until I found a good stand location that also happens to be the highest point around. Just got to make sure that if he runs, it's not in the wrong direction.

I hear it has a lot to do with what they have been eating, but in the fall that's going to be primarily soft mast and acorns so it should be pretty good. Remember that a bear's closest relative is a pig. So yum... hopefully.

I always thought that a bears closest relative was other bears?...

But seriously - if you get one are you going to get a good picture to use for your avatar?

I also just ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Deer-Sleighr-Game-Sled/dp/B001CJI7XA

31tRMMV6V1L._SX425_.jpg

I had the same exact magnum sled, I got it because no wheels allowed on Cohutta (no game haulers). I dragged a doe about 1 1/2mi. with it on Pigeon mtn, the second time, I dragged 2 hogs (approx. 200lbs combined) on it about 500yds at Pinelog......it shredded. The occasional rock here and there are brutal on these sleds.

On a side note, if your going downhill, especially on plenty of leaves, you'd might as well hop on and ride. That thing will knock your feet right out from under you and drag you instead!

Also, those sleds are pretty big, bulky, and noisey just incase your planning on carrying it with you into the woods. I carried mine in the bag from my folding camp chair.

I feel the same way. Always felt fortunate to see one. Had an up close encounter with one on a spur trail to the Appalachian trail a few years ago. He was very large. Trophy for sure. I never had any problem eating the deer I harvested. If it was brown it was down would be my first kill and from then on, trophy buck every season so most years I just killed 1 deer. Like most wild game, someone who knows how to butcher and cook it right, bear might eat good. I dunno. Would like to try it.
Tried Black bear once when a buddy brought one back from Canada. Worst tasting meat I have ever eaten, may have been from all the Salmon they eat.

Tried Black bear once when a buddy brought one back from Canada. Worst tasting meat I have ever eaten, may have been from all the Salmon they eat.
If I ain't gonna eat it, I don't think I could shoot it unless it were causing me a problem. Just me, I don't have a problem with someone else. Good luck

I've eaten black bear as well, it was excellent. Very rich tasting meat. The bear was from the Sierras so salmon wasn't on the menu.

Back
Top Bottom