• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bear Hunting!

I've eaten black bear as well, it was excellent. Very rich tasting meat. The bear was from the Sierras so salmon wasn't on the menu.

Do you know if it came from a fall bear hunt or a spring bear hunt?
I'd like to try one from a spring bear hunt.
There's few critters I can't make tasty, I'd give bear a second try...

I had the same exact magnum sled, I got it because no wheels allowed on Cohutta (no game haulers). I dragged a doe about 1 1/2mi. with it on Pigeon mtn, the second time, I dragged 2 hogs (approx. 200lbs combined) on it about 500yds at Pinelog......it shredded. The occasional rock here and there are brutal on these sleds.

On a side note, if your going downhill, especially on plenty of leaves, you'd might as well hop on and ride. That thing will knock your feet right out from under you and drag you instead!

Also, those sleds are pretty big, bulky, and noisey just incase your planning on carrying it with you into the woods. I carried mine in the bag from my folding camp chair.
I expect it to be somewhat disposable and that's okay as long as it does the job the first time. I don't think I'll be dragging bear out of the woods very often. LOL! Well worth the $40 if it lets me get a bear out without going through to much hell.

As for sledding, we used to sit on our packs and slide down leafy slops when we were in steep areas. It was hell on our army issue leather gloves, because we would catch trees and saplings on the way down to check our speed.

If I ain't gonna eat it, I don't think I could shoot it unless it were causing me a problem. Just me, I don't have a problem with someone else. Good luck
I'm going to eat it for sure. If the meat doesn't taste good to start with, there's all kinds of things that can be done to make it better.

One night I had a bunch of people over for steaks. Grilled venison, beef, and bear steaks on the big green egg. It was a toss up between the beef and bear steaks. Crowd loved them, venison was a little dry even cooked medium rare. Got to eat them hot though, if it's cooling off the meat can leave that greasy kind of film feeling in your mouth.

I see bear a lot in one particular WMA but I have no desire to shoot one.
I see lotsa cubs too.

Not gonna say where though because there's a big buck in there I'm aiming for.

One of the best spots in the mountains is overlooking a secondary ridge path from a tree on the main ridge path.

I see bear a lot in one particular WMA but I have no desire to shoot one.
I see lotsa cubs too.

Not gonna say where though because there's a big buck in there I'm aiming for.

One of the best spots in the mountains is overlooking a secondary ridge path from a tree on the main ridge path.
I've got a stand set up between the two. The secondary is on the high ground due to thicker cover. I'm about five yards off of it. The primary is down hill and has a natural funnel due to an intersecting ravine that makes my longest shot on anything moving along the ridge 40 yards. There is an incredible amount of sign and lots of very big acorns in the trees with a few already on the ground. They are also the only producing oaks I have found so far. I'm going to let everything walk other than a very nice buck, a big hog, or a bear.

I went in again today to look at a couple of spots that looked promising on Google Earth and topo maps. Nope on both.

I've got a stand set up between the two. The secondary is on the high ground due to thicker cover. I'm about five yards off of it. The primary is down hill and has a natural funnel due to an intersecting ravine that makes my longest shot on anything moving along the ridge 40 yards. There is an incredible amount of sign and lots of very big acorns in the trees with a few already on the ground. They are also the only producing oaks I have found so far. I'm going to let everything walk other than a very nice buck, a big hog, or a bear.

I went in again today to look at a couple of spots that looked promising on Google Earth and topo maps. Nope on both.

Sounds Like a good spot.
Bring your Jelly donuts.

Back
Top Bottom