• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beating A Dead Horse

Is the AK more reliable than an AR dollar to dollar?

• Yes Comrade

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Sir, no, Sir

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Multi Cal. Tacos

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
So I'll be honest; second to my little carbines and 'surps I do not really own a fighting rifle...Do I get banned now? Anyways...I'm trying to debate whether I should just trick out an SKS, as I like the quirks and platform, or if I should just go for an AR platform? Bout priced evenly at this point...My only concern is being able to shoot crap ammo. SHTF, Econ. Coll., or even some scary words from law makers could lock up the ammo market. Is there a nice entry level (not cheap) AR platform that you would trust in the field with whatever you feed it? Reliability is #1 to me. I guess....AR vs AK...

So I'll be honest; second to my little carbines and 'surps I do not really own a fighting rifle...Do I get banned now? Anyways...I'm trying to debate whether I should just trick out an SKS, as I like the quirks and platform, or if I should just go for an AR platform? Bout priced evenly at this point...My only concern is being able to shoot crap ammo. SHTF, Econ. Coll., or even some scary words from law makers could lock up the ammo market. Is there a nice entry level (not cheap) AR platform that you would trust in the field with whatever you feed it? Reliability is #1 to me. I guess....AR vs AK...

I went 7.62x39 AR. Best of both worlds.

A decent manufacture of both should be reliable. Both DESIGNS should run fine, perhaps the AK a bit more reliable if you bury it in mud.

The crux is was the gun put together right.

i'd honestly go AR right now just because, the AK market is ok right now but the AR market is unbelievable. A good AR will eat up any crap ammo you feed it and honestly my $450 PSA runs just as good as my yankee hill. not to say you cant get a good ak cheap as well. its really a great time to just pick whichever one you like more! i wouldnt worry too much about reliability as in this market there is no reason to buy junk

There are a lot of crappy Aks on the market at the moment. The AR market is so down right now that it would be folly not to buy. Whatever you buy, just buy something that's decent quality. Sure you can get a WASR for something like $550 shipped if you spend some time looking, but might as well get a decent AR for almost $100 less. You could put the difference into ammo, mags, or whatever else. The modularity of the AR makes it more appealing to me. Easy to swap out uppers and the aftermarket is huge.

Back
Top Bottom