• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BEDORE AND AFTER PICS.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
This is an old Stevens model 77h 12 gauge shotgun. They were offered between 1955 and 1971. The gun was in pretty rough condition you can see in the pictures that it wasn't pretty but up close and personal it was worse than it looks on camera. Anyways after some hard work, elbow grease and some patience in just a few little things from Birchwood I brought it back to life. I ordered a spring from Numeric gun parts but was sent the wrong spring. I think I made a mistake and hit the wrong one but anyways I just ordered the correct one today so it'll be in a few days then I can finish it up. All I've got to do now is just scuff up the trigger assembly the outside part that you see anyway and give it a good coat of quality paint and cure it in the oven for an hour or two and it's ready to be put back together after I get that spring. It's going to look beautiful when it's all together and I'll post pics of that as well when I get it done. The tiger stripes on the buttstock in this gun is just absolutely beautiful. For a gun that was built between 1955 and 1971 it's going to look better than anybody's gun that he's out hunting with and that I can guarantee you. Unless it's some kind of high dollar Italian made, handmade shotgun anyway. If you're looking at it on the phone turn the phone sideways so you get the full pic.
IMG_20221125_051759259.jpg
IMG_20221125_051759259.jpg
IMG_20221206_135340218.jpg
16703532400352509833699548772268.jpg

I love that wood. Way to bring her back in a time when she might have wound up in a “buy back”. They weren’t afraid to slap some good looking wood on working guns back in the day.

I love that wood. Way to bring her back in a time when she might have wound up in a “buy back”. They weren’t afraid to slap some good looking wood on working guns back in the day.
The younger generation know nothing about the old guns. These days everything is black And that's the status quo. This generation doesn't even know what guns are supposed to look like and should look like but don't because of cost, the bottom line, get it in and out as quick as you can. Back in the late '70s early '80s you could buy Remington 700 BDL for 400 bucks and it was worth every freaking penny. These days there's twice that much and you get plastic.

These days they probably injection mold four five stocks in one pass and they just roll out into the big box. Completely void of any craftsmanship. And some of them look like two sticks I'm not going to mention any guns but it sounds like block.

It's just hard to make good pics. I don't put a lot of thought into lighting and contrast for optimum visual affect. So really the overall effect is not really seen very good in these pics. I have to apologize for that. Standing close to it in the light it looks very, very much like new. Even the picture of the gun before I had done any work on it doesn't look as bad in the picture as it actually did standing right in front of it and looking down. The barrel was completely surface rust but no pitting. It did not have not one speck of blue on it. Of course the stock was just completely flat, dull and had a bunch of small nick's but a lot of them came out except for the big gouges. In the room I take the pictures and has fluorescent lighting and to me that really takes away a lot from the pictures.

The younger generation know nothing about the old guns. These days everything is black And that's the status quo. This generation doesn't even know what guns are supposed to look like and should look like but don't because of cost, the bottom line, get it in and out as quick as you can. Back in the late '70s early '80s you could buy Remington 700 BDL for 400 bucks and it was worth every freaking penny. These days there's twice that much and you get plastic.
What is your threshold for "younger generation"? I think I do pretty well appreciating the old guns, but I'm not that young anymore either!

20's seems to be more associated with the black guns in the video games. You never see a Remington 870 wingamaster with gloss wood and blue steel as an option. Another beaut you don't have as a choice is a Weatherby 460 Wildcat or other choice cartridges in gloss and blue like through the 70's early 80's. I was referring more to my children's age. You could have been born in the 80's and still caught the tail end of the gorgeous stocks and blue steel or stainless. It's all black or military color plastic or dull finishes anymore.

Back
Top Bottom