• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beef heart tacos

I bought a beef heart for my dog from a local processor. Decided to slice some thin and sear it in a cast iron skillet with some garlic and salt and hit it with some mojo sauce to finish. Made outstanding tacos. Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing I only get to fix when my wife won’t be eating with me. i don’t understand why they don’t sell these in Mexican restaurants.
What is that yellow and white stringy stuff on your tacos?

Back in the old days when sides of beef were popular,you could take all the trimmings and mix with beef hearts and make some of finest ground chuck you ever seen.i can almost promise if you older than 40 you probably have eaten some.

Back in the old days when sides of beef were popular,you could take all the trimmings and mix with beef hearts and make some of finest ground chuck you ever seen.i can almost promise if you older than 40 you probably have eaten some.
had to do some trimming on it but overall a beautiful red muscle with no intramuscular fat. Very rich beef flavor. I could see where this would enhance the flavor of a ground beef blend.

had to do some trimming on it but overall a beautiful red muscle with no intramuscular fat. Very rich beef flavor. I could see where this would enhance the flavor of a ground beef blend.
It was done more for the cost than the blend,you could purchase them for nearly nothing I think around 7or 8 cents a pound in the 70’s and sell ground beef on special for 1/2 the cost.its what meat managers went to when ground beef was in sales ads cheaper than they could purchase.

"I bought a beef heart for my dog from a local processor."

...and what did the poor dog end up with! :D
That reminds me of a man I worked for years ago. The management would go to John Paul's Aramdillo Oil Co. for drinks and dinner and he'd order back ribs. Eat them all and when the waiter would come by and ask if we needed boxes, he'd say, "Yes. I told my kids I'd bring them something for dinner." and place the bones in the box.

Back
Top Bottom