• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beer Me! Home brewing anonymous 101

H4zY

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
How many of you par take in a brew day. I usually brew about once a month. I have been brewing all grain for about two years and enjoy Sunday brew days. I typically brew in 10gal batches and when I am feeling feisty I will Partigyle a couple of Ales. Partigyle = 20gal of beer:cool: Hopefully one of these days I will get of my ass and actually start a micro brewery.

Discuss......

img.photobucket.com_albums_v283_sbruce75_comicBEER.jpg

I would start with a brew kit. Usually these make 5 gal batches. All you need is at least a 10gal stock pot and use your stove top. These kits come with every thing you need to make the beer from a concentrated form. This takes a lot of the guess work out and will provide you with a better beer.
Here is a link to a local distributor in Alpharetta.

http://www.brewvan.com/beer-catalog.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=3

I used to brew quite a bit mostly porters and stouts. I gave it up about 15 years ago when my health started going south. Recently while cleaning out my desk I ran across some of my old recipes and thought about trying a brew or two but the only equipment I have left is my hydrometer and my bottle capper.

lol...I thought about doing a Stout and calling it CoCo-pepsi. Lamont you have to try this new urang... I mean orange ale. It will be ready in two weeks.
7 hops+orange peels= face caved in.

I used to brew quite a bit mostly porters and stouts. I gave it up about 15 years ago when my health started going south. Recently while cleaning out my desk I ran across some of my old recipes and thought about trying a brew or two but the only equipment I have left is my hydrometer and my bottle capper.
Sorry to hear about your health. I hope it wasn't Cirrhosis... I guess you pay to play. I usually have a hard time with my hydrometer after about 6 beers. I said F'it and got a refractometer. I can see it better with my beer goggles on. lol

I started doing some homebrews this summer. I did 4 extract batches(3 pale ales and one belgian style abbey ale), but I decided to get a little more legit and do all grain. I did a Dogfishead 60 minute clone and finally got to try it this weekend after a long fermentation period and secondary fermentation. I must say that after the wait.......IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Extract is the way to go for starters, because you don't need as much equipment and it just simplifies your first few brews. This is the same starter kit I got except I paid $90:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Homebre...I5RS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327375620&sr=8-5

Just google "homebrew supply store" for your local source of ingredients and the guys in there should be able to fix you up with a good clone recipe based off something you like. Long story short, it's the best, most rewarding hobby EVER!

Hell yeah... I want to do a 90 min IPA. My recipes are a 60 min boil. I like making the Belgian Ales for the ladies... if you know what I mean.:very_drunk:

This is the reason why. Belgian Blondes make them clothes fall off. lol

Recipie:
8 # British 2-row
.5 #British crystal malt
.5 # Wheat Malt
.5 # Golden Brown sugar
.75 oz Willamette (60 mins)
.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) (60) ----I had to use up some hops
1 oz EKG leaf hops (60)
1 oz EKG leaf hops (30)
1 oz EKG leaf hops (5)
Irish Moss