• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner loader - Getting ready to drop the charge!

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT'ers -

Over the past few months I have been shooting the lovely 45ACP due to my new found 1911 addiction. I always liked the idea of reloading but now I really want to do it to save money at first and then expand into making specific loads that meet my needs. Is this a good press to start me off? Is there anything else that is a must buy that the Lee folks aren't saying I need? I'm picking up some good carbide dies on Monday from a fellow member and hope to get as much as I can from members. I already have 1k spent brass. Going to start researching the proper cleaning methods/products and understand the difference between once fired, twice fired, etc

thanks for any input guys!

Press I'm thinking of ordering:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/35...ressive-press-kit-45-acp?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:
My first adventure into progressive reloading was a LEE Loadmaster, which is basically a little "higher level" press than the Pro 1000. I had been loading on a Lee single stage press for probably 30-35 years before that and never had any kind of problem. When I started doing "progressive", it was with a Lee LoadMaster. I found that the weakest link in that system was the primer slider. I had so many of the little plastic things to break that I started keeping several of them on hand at all times. The second weakest part of it was the automatic bullet feeder. Again, this thing was plastic and I had to keep several of them on hand. I don't even want to talk much about that cheap ass powder system. The first and only time I EVER got squib loads was with that LoadMaster. I did not realize that the powder drop was not consistent, not even close. I was loading .40 S&W loads at the time. It was not only one or two loads it was 10-15 per 50 round box. I ended up pulling bullets from every .40 cal I had. The happiest reloading day I ever had was the day I un-loaded that thing and bought myself a Dillon.

That experience left me not totally trusting the powder drop on my Dillon progressive. I know that the Dillon is absolutely trustworthy but that tiny bit of doubt makes me weigh every 10 to 20 rounds. Even though none have ever been off my more than 2 tenths of a grain, I still check. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing all things LEE (99% of the reloading equipment I own is Lee red), just their progressive press known as the Lee Loadmaster and I can't see the Pro 1000 to be much different.

Go with the Lee Classic Turret press. Skip the progressive for now. If you find you need to load in higher volume, you can always upgrade to the progressive later. I just started reloading recently and am cranking out 150-200 rounds per hour with the turret press. Highly recommend it.

Hello ODT'ers -

Over the past few months I have been shooting the lovely 45ACP due to my new found 1911 addiction. I always liked the idea of reloading but now I really want to do it to save money at first and then expand into making specific loads that meet my needs. Is this a good press to start me off? Is there anything else that is a must buy that the Lee folks aren't saying I need? I'm picking up some good carbide dies on Monday from a fellow member and hope to get as much as I can from members. I already have 1k spent brass. Going to start researching the proper cleaning methods/products and understand the difference between once fired, twice fired, etc

thanks for any input guys!

Press I'm thinking of ordering:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/35...ressive-press-kit-45-acp?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I love Midway, but they have high shipping on some items. Check these before ya order and save as much as you can for components.
Here is the Pro 1000 a little cheaper.

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-pro-1000/45-acp-lee-pro-1000-

And the Load Master

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-load-master/lee-load-master-pistol-calibers/45-acp-lee-load-master-

Midway has first time customer coupons that will get you $20 off $150 which could offset shipping. Thats if you've never ordered from them before.

The Lee Pro 1000 press, in the right hands, can quickly turn out a lot of ammo. But, of all the progressive presses by the major manufacturers, it's the most tricky to get running consistently, and the least tolerant of poor setup, less-than-solid mounting, and less-than-perfectly-clean. In other words, it's not a great machine for a beginning reloader.

If you think you'll only ever load 45acp, money is tight, and you just want to get started, try the Lee Pro 1000.

If you think you'll only ever load 45acp, you have some more coin to invest, get a Dillon Square Deal.

If you think you might load other calibers, money is tight, get a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

If you think you might load other calibers, you have some more coin to invest, expand your research to the Dillon 550 and the Hornaday Lock-n-Load AP.

Last edited:
The Lee Pro 1000 press, in the right hands, can quickly turn out a lot of ammo. But, of all the progressive presses by the major manufacturers, it's the most tricky to get running consistently, and the least tolerant of poor setup, less-than-solid mounting, and less-than-perfectly-clean. In other words, it's not a great machine for a beginning reloader.

If you think you'll only ever load 45acp, money is tight, and you just want to get started, try the Lee Pro 1000.

If you think you'll only ever load 45acp, you have some more coin to invest, get a Dillon Square Deal.

If you think you might load other calibers, money is tight, get a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

If you think you might load other calibers, you have some more coin to invest, expand your research to the Dillon 550 and the Hornaday Lock-n-Load AP.

I agree with all of this. I load 45acp on a Pro 1000. You really have to tweak everything to get it running right and keep it running right. It takes getting used to the little things on the press that can cause problems. Once you understand it the press works well and can crank out some good ammo. I have a separate cheap single stage press set up with a Lee factory crimp die. I run the loaded rounds through it and it takes any bulge out of the case and makes for much more consistent ammo. I think the cast turret press is a better way to start and with less investment. Whichever way you go plan on spending more than you think. By the time you add in the books, tumbler, and rest of the odds and ends you'll need it really adds up.

Back
Top Bottom