• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner loader - Getting ready to drop the charge!

Sounds good. So the next die in the process will bell the mouth and can also add the powder if you use the auto disk. I'd opt for the "pro" auto disk if you go that route. The adjustable bar for it is not bad either (instead of the disks).

I got the little pocket cleaner tool but I have yet to use it. From what I've read, it's just not necessary and only adds time to the process. I got some stainless media coming today for my rotary tumbler anyhow so that should take care of dirty pockets.

If you are depriming w/ the sizing die, I suggest cleaning the brass a little first( just a short run to remove the major crap). I deprime using the universal decapping die then clean my brass.

I just got the universal decapping die from Lee ($12) so I can decap while still dirty then wet tumble. I decapped over 500 cases in less than 30 min. Good advice.

Sounds good. So the next die in the process will bell the mouth and can also add the powder if you use the auto disk. I'd opt for the "pro" auto disk if you go that route. The adjustable bar for it is not bad either (instead of the disks).

I got the little pocket cleaner tool but I have yet to use it. From what I've read, it's just not necessary and only adds time to the process. I got some stainless media coming today for my rotary tumbler anyhow so that should take care of dirty pockets.

Stainless media? I have the walnut media which I picked up with the press from another member. I haven't seen that yet but I guess I haven't been really looking at the different medias. Someone told me that the corn cob media was better than the walnut media as it last longer which surprised me because when you think corn and walnuts I think that corn is cheaper. I would imagine stainless would be more expensive but should do a hell of a job cleaning. Would it need lubricant or to be in like a rock tumbler whcih would be bigger and could handle water? Lots of questions I could probably google but I appreiciate it!

You guys have been awesome so far with all of the help. I have been doing some reading and watching youtube videos but there is nothing better than having dialogue with folks that have experience with loading. Anyhow, I thought I was going to get to the range today and get some loading today but work calls again and I have to be tethered to my computer setting up a server all day. The good thing is that the weather is crap and now I can search for and take my lunch break to get a powder measure device.

I am going to get the Lee Auto Disk Powder measure kit, I think because I'm on a little bit of a budget at the moment. Is it really worth almost double the price to get the pro? And should I definitely get the charge bar? Most folks say yes on that one from what I read and its only $10 online and hopefully not much more at a brick and mortar shop.

thanks for your help and suggestions as always!
Paul

You guys have been awesome so far with all of the help. I have been doing some reading and watching youtube videos but there is nothing better than having dialogue with folks that have experience with loading. Anyhow, I thought I was going to get to the range today and get some loading today but work calls again and I have to be tethered to my computer setting up a server all day. The good thing is that the weather is crap and now I can search for and take my lunch break to get a powder measure device.

I am going to get the Lee Auto Disk Powder measure kit, I think because I'm on a little bit of a budget at the moment. Is it really worth almost double the price to get the pro? And should I definitely get the charge bar? Most folks say yes on that one from what I read and its only $10 online and hopefully not much more at a brick and mortar shop.

thanks for your help and suggestions as always!
Paul

It should only be about $15 more. It's worth it. As for the adjustable bar, I'm glad I bought it but I hear the disks work just as well except when you need a charge that is in between the preset holes in the disks. Even then, I've read where guys drill out the holes to achieve their desired charge. The bar gives you more precise control out of the box. You may do fine without it tho.

It should only be about $15 more. It's worth it. As for the adjustable bar, I'm glad I bought it but I hear the disks work just as well except when you need a charge that is in between the preset holes in the disks. Even then, I've read where guys drill out the holes to achieve their desired charge. The bar gives you more precise control out of the box. You may do fine without it tho.

Yep, I bought a second set of disks just to make changes to. I didn't drill the holes out, but tapped it to allow the use of a cap head screw. Just have to screw it in or out to make adjustment. Still had consistent powder drops.

Stainless media? I have the walnut media which I picked up with the press from another member. I haven't seen that yet but I guess I haven't been really looking at the different medias. Someone told me that the corn cob media was better than the walnut media as it last longer which surprised me because when you think corn and walnuts I think that corn is cheaper. I would imagine stainless would be more expensive but should do a hell of a job cleaning. Would it need lubricant or to be in like a rock tumbler whcih would be bigger and could handle water? Lots of questions I could probably google but I appreiciate it!

Stainless pins are used in wet tumbling. I bought a cheap harbor freight dual drum rock tumbler for $46 and 2.5lb of stainless pins from Bullseye reloading for $21. A little dawn, a pinch of lemishine and 3 hours later the brass looks amazing. I'll post some pics later.

Only thing is, you do need to decap to reap the max benefits of wet tumbling, and then dry the brass, but I don't mind. I got a decapping die and use it to remove the spent primers from dirty cases. This way I'm not wearing out my resize/decapping die. I just air dry them on a towel mouth down overnight. Has been working great so far. I'm new to all this too so still have a lot to learn myself.

Yep, I bought a second set of disks just to make changes to. I didn't drill the holes out, but tapped it to allow the use of a cap head screw. Just have to screw it in or out to make adjustment. Still had consistent powder drops.

Same concept as the charge bar - increase/reduce cavity volume. I probably would've improvised like that as well knowing what I know now. God knows I love to tinker with stuff. lol

Awesome guys thanks. I'm going to be picking up the pro auto disk tomorrow from JAswhit. Works out great since I wont be able to reload until Friday now anyway. After that, I think I will have everything I need. I have powder, I have bullets, and my cases have already been primed. I also have a bullet puller, scale and calipers.

Back
Top Bottom