• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner Q about hog hunting

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about hog hunting, but I may have a chance to go sometime in the next few months, somewhere around Macon.

I don't have anything suitable to shoot, so I'd appreciate the group opinion on a suitable basic setup.

I'd prefer to get my own gun rather than borrow one. I'm not a crack shot, so I'll need to practice !

Couple of things I'm thinking right now.

1) Pretty broke at the moment, I'll have to sell something to fund the gun, so budget's important.

2) Left handed, so not keen on a bolt action.

3) Bad neck, so I don't want to go the 45-70 route, but I don't think a 22lr will do the job. What's a reasonably 'gentle' cartridge that will get the job done ?

4) Sights, no idea what's appropriate. From what I know we'll be on foot in some cover, (trees), at reasonably close range < 75 yds.

All suggestions welcomed !

I would check with those I was hunting with. There are several ways to hunt.
I know guys that shoot them from deer stands.
I know guys who hunt them with buggy's and thermal imaging and high dollar AR's
I know guys who hunt them with dogs and dont allow guns at all.

I would check with those I was hunting with. There are several ways to hunt.
I know guys that shoot them from deer stands.
I know guys who hunt them with buggy's and thermal imaging and high dollar AR's
I know guys who hunt them with dogs and dont allow guns at all.

This is a good suggestion, check with the guys are going with, they may be killing them with knives! Some guys do that.

A good simple set up would be a basic AR 15. Full metal jacket. You could get one for 600 bucks or so. Better would be a 6.8, or 308/AR-10, But that may be overkill for what you’re doing.

Any other deer hinting style rifle you have would probably work. Hogs are tough, and require tough bullets to Penetrate.

The ideal rig would be a thermal viewer and or thermal scope. But that’s probably way out of your ideal budget at the moment.

So many ways to hunt hogs, I would talk to the guys you’re going with first.

This

cdn3_www.dogtime.com_assets_uploads_2011_01_file_23012_beagle.jpg

and this.
upload_2018-1-12_10-14-51.jpeg

I have hunted them almost every way you could imagine. It’s already been said, but first thing is figure out what kind of hunting you will be doing. When I hunted them with dogs, we didn’t allow guns at all. Caught them with bare hands, tied them up and took them out on 4 wheelers. If you are hunting them from stands and/or over food and looking for a low recoil option, I have killed plenty with an AR chambered in 5.56. It’s all about choosing the correct ammo and making good shots from there on out. Again, optics depend on the situation. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom