• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner Q about hog hunting

yes 000 or 00, you don't want a gut shot with buckshot. Hog **** everywhere. A 12 gauge pump with recoil pad can be found for $200+.
I have seen a guy take them with dogs and a knife. He does carry a big pistol.

/\ /\ /\
This!

I have killed 4 hogs. 2 with 357 handgun at scary close range(300lbs) and 2 with just a knife. And yes you have to do a real gut check before you climb on the back of a wild hog and stab it through the heart. But you will stab the one you kill with a firearm to bleed it out.

Before you buy anything, check with the folks that you are going to hunt with and get them to recommend what you will need.

The guy I bought a hunt from the first time I killed a hog. Talked me out of bringing my shotgun. We were hunting with dogs and any shot was going to be at close range.

Thanks all. The guy shoots with a high end AR in 223, and, to be honest, is a bit of a gun snob with deep pockets so is pretty dismissive of anything less.

He cruises around on an atv, then walks different areas.

I don't trust my accuracy with a 223. A 12 with buck would cripple me. Maybe I should just take the FAL !

Budget wise 3-600 maybe, (depending on what I sell to fund it, maybe I should part with my Stinger Pen gun lol), might be able to stretch to a mini 30.

Hog they just got
hog.jpg

I’m in a similar situation down in peanut country. Been invited to a friends land close to me. I have a suitable AR but we may be shooting 2-400 yards. I’m looking at a Savage Axis II in either .308 or 6.5 CM for a scosche over $400 at local store. 6.5 is a plenty powerful round and a flat shooter at those distances. I know it’s the “latest craze” and .308 is far more common, but SOCOM and DHS Snipers are moving to 6.5 so maybe it has value long term. Reviews I have seen on the Axis II have all been good as well. I will let you know what happens. Peanuts are just coming out of the ground and we’re putting out corn to feed the little rascals so we can get them coming to where we want them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Go to Academy buy a CVA Hunter in .243 for $200.00 buy a Bushnell Banner Scope for $80.00. Pair it with vanilla 100gr soft point ammo that it shoots the best. Practice. Implement the 4 B's

Be there
Be still
Be quiet
Be downwind

Kill away. Don't overthink it. Hunting is fun not a reason for stress.

My 2 cents:

Any that is acceptable for deer is good enough for hogs, if you go 556/223 go for head and upper spine shots. Good luck on your hog hunts!

Back
Top Bottom