• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner reloading kit advice?

Kaleb Dance

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I’m looking to get into reloading and have no idea where to start. I’ve watched some YouTube videos and I get the gist of it but I have no idea which kit to start with. I want something dummy proof/inexpensive at first then I’ll get into the more advanced equipment. I mainly wanna start out with 9, 5.56, 300 black out, and probably .308.

Me and a buddy got interested and decided to start pulling the trigger on it (pun intended). I’ve got the work space in my shop with heat and A/C lol. So we just need something to do during the winter.

I know that it’s not the cheapest hobby and I know I’ll have to spend some money at first. However I’ve seen some of y’all’s setups and Y’all’s wives/husbands/bfs/gfs/baby mamas/baby daddies (it’s 2022 I’m not judging on whatever your into) are probably a lot more forgiving than my ole lady. So that being said I don’t wanna have to find another place to live when I get some equipment.

I would get this, pretty good deal for what you are getting. Can be used as a single stage press to get the basics down and you can progress to a semi-progressive with the turret system.

I would get this, pretty good deal for what you are getting. Can be used as a single stage press to get the basics down and you can progress to a semi-progressive with the turret system.

^This is not a bad idea. That said, I started about 10 years ago with a Hornady LnL AP, and although much more expensive than the above deal, I have no regrets.

Find someone near you to walk you through the basics. Start with a single stage or turret until you are comfortable with all phases of reloading, setting up your press and dies, adjusting, troubleshooting and safety. Once you have developed enough comfort at being able to understand all phases of reloading, then consider a progressive where you'll have all phases going on at the same time. Achieving comfort is an individual journey. I run a rock chucker, a Lyman turret, a Dillon 750 and for shotgun, a MEC 9xxx. I also hand cast and have been known to make my own black powder. I've been loading closing in on 40 years now and find it to be very relaxing.

Find someone near you to walk you through the basics. Start with a single stage or turret until you are comfortable with all phases of reloading, setting up your press and dies, adjusting, troubleshooting and safety. Once you have developed enough comfort at being able to understand all phases of reloading, then consider a progressive where you'll have all phases going on at the same time. Achieving comfort is an individual journey. I run a rock chucker, a Lyman turret, a Dillon 750 and for shotgun, a MEC 9xxx. I also hand cast and have been known to make my own black powder. I've been loading closing in on 40 years now and find it to be very relaxing.
this. after using a single stage for a few years...setting up a progressive is intuitive. I KNOW what each stage should do and how to adjust it.

Well boys that was easy enough thanks…. Now who wants to volunteer as tribute to come hold my hand so I don’t blow a hole through my knee cap in Winder? I’ll provide beer/water/sodas and food.

Back
Top Bottom