• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner reloading kit advice?

Rcbs for a.statter kit. Their dies too. My old rock.chucker is circa 1968 and still reloads precision rifle ammo today..dies matter for good rifle ammo. I will say my Mec Marksman is a very impressive press for around $200.

For a progressive go blue period. I own three 550s and a newer 750. All have performed perfectly.. Dillon and RCBS service is beyond excellent.. I started reloading when I was around the 14, helping my dad reload 38spl. for pistol matches. Starting casting around the same time...that's 60 years of reloading. Buy the best you can afford period..

I don't reload for volume. I reload strictly for accuracy. I just use a single stage Lee and I have all the real good case prep systems. I use Hornady dies on all my calibers with the Hornady Mirco adjust accessory on each one. The Lee press I have uses individual sleeves you attach to each die that allows you to Simply twist and lock into place. You use one sleeve per each die and it just stays attached on there so it's constantly adjusted to the correct depth. Changing dies is very easy takes about 5 Seconds. I use all the high tech Case Prep stuff to get all that done easily and quickly. But when it actually comes to seating the projectile I do very carefully and use that micro adjust to make sure each one is absolutely the correct length. I still weigh each individual powder throw by hand and check each one and make sure they are the same exact weight. I also separate all the brass by brand so that I keep each manufacture separate for accuracy purposes. Case Prep is by far the worst of the job. Once all that done the reloading to snap. The turret presses are perfect if you're reloading for volume. But since I don't reload for volume I don't have any reason to invest in one. I spent all my money on Case Prep devices to make that a little easier.

I just reload when I get bored which is a lot. I have gotten to the point where all my inventory for 6.8 is all reloads. I have only 2 or three boxes of New factory ammo. I am going to leave out how much I have. Pretty much the same goes for .223 ammo except for a couple hundred rounds of reman ammo I purchased from Ballistic Expansion. It's a ammo supplier here on ODT that makes 77gr. OTM ammo for the same price I can make it and it's just as accurate.

I have pretty much halted at the moment because of the lack of availability of my favorite powders and large primers for 6.8. I'm still doing .223 and seeing as I have a lot of free time I reload a good bit so I build up a pretty good supply. I like keeping it simple so no matter what I grab out of my stock it's just as accurate as the last withdrawal.

You can see the little indent on the sleeve at the bottom of the 6.8 die that locks into place on that black button on top of the press. It's just a insert, twist and it locks into place and the die is at the correct depth every time with no fuss. You can also see the micrometer accessory on top of the die. Allows for quick and precise OAL adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_20230220_080023812.jpg
    IMG_20230220_080023812.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230220_080015393.jpg
    IMG_20230220_080015393.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3
If you interested in getting in on the cheap I will post a link to my humble little set up. Of course I upgraded a lot of pieces to make things a little easier and faster. I put all my money in case prep pieces which no matter what type of press you have turret or single stage. This will just get you in on the cheap so you can start reloading and kind of tweaking your rounds and not have to fool with setting up a turret press. It's not as easy as just putting it together and start reloading you have to tweak those presses and order parts and change out stuff and it's a learning curve for sure and a definite time-consuming process to even get the things to run continuously without a bunch of hiccups. That's part of the reason why I stayed away from them.

With my little setup you can run a lot faster if you don't take the time to weigh out each individual powder throw. That's what takes up a good bit of my time. You're going to learn to hate Case Prep though and you'll want to get a good machine like a Franklin Arsenal trimmer with champ for tools and primer pocket cleaners as well. They aren't cheap they're about 260 depending on if you find one on sale or not. You want to replace the scale and get a good digital one and you might want to replace the powder throw. I just use the one that came in the kit since I do each one individually and weigh it it doesn't bother me one bit turn the crank halfway and back for the throw.

It's definitely something you want to start out slow and then you'll start adding pieces because you can have thousands and thousands of dollars wrapped up into a reloading setup. There's Case Prep machines, high dollar powder throw and scale setups, dies and you're going to want good dyes. Stay away from Lee dies altogether. I have a Lee press but the only thing that I have left that is actually Lee is the press and the little collet sleeves that go around the dies to keep the depth adjustment fixed. All my other die sets are Hornady. And of course you can step up and back carbide resizing guys that don't have to be lubricated in your cases won't get stuck in it otherwise you have to lubricate your cases so they don't stick in your resizing die. And once you do that it'll be the last time you make that mistake I'll guarantee it. Here's the link to my little kit what you get you started and of course you'll want to replace some of the gizmos like the scales and get you a Case Prep machine. You can get a decent Hornady one for 100 bucks. And of course you got to order the small and the large primer pocket bits, inside and outside champher bits.

It's really a never-ending Saga. Just when you think you got things for you can go smoothly you've got to order something else. And I can't imagine having to do that with a multi-stage Turret press. I would go nuts trying to fool with it.

This is just a simple kit. It has a lot needed parts and a lot of trash. Like scaless and some other hand held tools that will rip your fingers to pieces trying to Case Prep with them. Young can find them ridiculously cheap when on sale and spend the extra money on case prep. I keep coming back to Case Prep because it will be the Bain of your existence. Anyway just one option. I know its a long post but you really need to know what you getting into. Now is the worst time because good powders as primers are ridiculously high when you can find them and if it's large rifle primers you're looking for you can forget that. Not to mention all the real good loading powders are not available. I have been looking for IMR 8208 XBR for six to eight months and I have not found one jug on the shelf nor online and hits by far the best 6.8 SPC powder there are use. So take your time look over the prices of the stuff you're going to want to reload like calipers, casings, projectiles, powder and primers. Also look at what initial start up fees are. Case Prep centers, good powder throws with accurate scales. I would not recommend buying a used set up. Half will be Jerry rigged to work and you will have a thousand parts you will have no idea what they are for. Start off cheap and simple and learn the ropes before you progress over to the complicated machines that's just my recommendation. Sorry the check the post was so long but I think I needed you to see and hear what's all involved with the process before you go out and spend a bunch of money. Good luck my friend.

Buy the Lee loading kit, runs about $125-$150 total. It will do everything you need to do and as you mature and want more you can replace parts. Wallacem in Ga

Back
Top Bottom