• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner reloading kit advice?

Started about 2 years ago - this place is great for both info and "pieces, parts, and powder" . I use my Hornady LnL for 308, 6.5, and 300 BO. My rounds are a long way from perfect, but have killed a bunch of deer and are obviously accurate. I had to buy a lot of powder, primers, dies and shell holders off eBay and this forum, made about 234 mistakes a day, ruined some brass, had some misfires, but it is very rewarding. I am still a complete novice in this, but buy reloading manuals - all you can from Hornady, Hogdon all of them if you can. Forget load data for now and read up on the history and process, it can be a rabbit hole so focus on a step at a time

If you "think" you want to get into reloading, start with the Lee kit.

If you KNOW you are going to reload or load your own rifle ammunition, go ahead and "pay once, cry once" and get an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master or Rebel Kit & an RCBS Case Trimmer (you'll quickly abandon this if you have any sense and buy a Giraud). I use Lee dies for obscure, rarely loaded rifle ammunition but not much else they make. Lyman case gauges are the best commonly available, Dillon is too generous.

Eventually, if you get into shooting competition, you'll wind up with this type of disaster in your reloading area (RCBS, Dillon 1050, Dillon 650, etc.)

I started out by reading "The ABCs of Reloading" by Rodney James.

1666184638542.png

I have a Rockchucker and a 650 Dillon.Both are great and both companies have supported their products. I have contacted each of them one time.Rcbs replaced a powder measure cylinder and Dillon replaced an indexing part.
If I had to start over I wouldn't hesitate to buy both again, except I don't shoot near as much to use the Dillon.
I started with the Rockchucker more than 40 years ago and have loaded from .32 acp thru .300 WM. All are easy once you
Learn the basic processing. I have loaded much plinking,target and hunting ammo and both presses have served well.
I have used mostly Rcbs dies and equipment .Dillon and Lyman are also great but I agree with palmettomoon palmettomoon and use some Lee dies but the quality of the rest of their tools has gone down badly.
As others have said reading a bunch is necessary to quality ammo and keeping your good body parts.
It is relaxing , rewarding and can be addicting.

RCBS Rock Chucker to start. Lee has some good products, but RCBS Lifetime Warranty will pay off if you plan to reload for years to come. Once you get into volume then go to the Dillon products. I have 5 presses that I currently use. My RCBS handles all my obscure loads. My Dillon 650 does all my pistol reloads and i have 3 Dillon 1050s that I use to prep most of my brass on before reloading.
I started out with a RCBS Rock Chucker over 40 years ago. I gave it to my son-in-law and got another. Can't go wrong with a RCBS product.

If you "think" you want to get into reloading, start with the Lee kit.

If you KNOW you are going to reload or load your own rifle ammunition, go ahead and "pay once, cry once" and get an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master or Rebel Kit & an RCBS Case Trimmer (you'll quickly abandon this if you have any sense and buy a Giraud). I use Lee dies for obscure, rarely loaded rifle ammunition but not much else they make. Lyman case gauges are the best commonly available, Dillon is too generous.

Eventually, if you get into shooting competition, you'll wind up with this type of disaster in your reloading area (RCBS, Dillon 1050, Dillon 650, etc.)

I started out by reading "The ABCs of Reloading" by Rodney James.

View attachment 4858898
thats A lot of stuff in a small area, I’ll bet it’s hard to keep as clean as you have it

Back
Top Bottom