• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginning 08/20/18 ODT 7 week fitness challenge

Horsehat

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Doulus tou Theou
114   0
Reaction score
IMG_1384.PNG
my fellow ODT semi couch potatoes. Like me, perhaps you can't charge up those hills like you used to. A hard fact of life is that old age ain't for sissies. As we age those extra pounds get harder on the joints and cardio vascular system to support and poor muscle tone and bone loss exacerbate the effect of the greater weight. Visit a senior living center. Those who are overweight and unfit even at a moderately advanced age struggle. They often require assistance, giving up large doses of independence. The old marines who stayed fit, on the other hand, manage life quite nicely, often well into their 90's.
I have been working on improving my fitness for the past year, lost about 28 pounds and progressed from being able to do no push-ups to the point I can do 16. I want to push my fitness improvements along at a more rapid pace over the next 7 weeks and hope you will join me.
Strategies are.
Increase my current 3 days resistance training to 5
Cardio 6 days per week
Intermittent fasting, all foods consumed 9am-4pm
Maximum 2000 calories daily
Minimum 180 grams protein daily
Getting old is something we have no control over, if we continue to exist it will be in an ever aging condition. The condition we are in as we age we have great control over. Hope you will join me in getting fitter the next 7 weeks before hunting season. Your goals, strategies and reasons may be different from mine but I think we can all agree, life is better when you are fitter. Best of luck
BanjoJohn BanjoJohn , @crippen , Gunanddoglover Gunanddoglover , Vman Vman , Sneakypete Sneakypete , @mgonza , @palmettomoon , @troutman , @DADI03 , @Shortcut , @brikon , @Granite3 , @ShooterG , @BCM1323654788 , mikeyE mikeyE , @Necrosis @jdav , @Porter Rockwell , aFarewellToKings aFarewellToKings , @CPA9mm , @ADAduckhuntr , @The_ Brit_in_ATL , GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

I'm with you brother! It's cool to see you're on the intermittent fasting path! I have been working on improving habits myself this year and I'm sticking with it pretty good so far. Weight training every day before work (different muscle groups each day) and running 3-5 miles 3 times a week. I lost 50lbs about a year ago and gained 20lbs back so I'm working on my eating (less sweets and carbs, less volume, fasting, etc.) to get back to where I was (only about 10lbs to go). I'm 54 and would like to be able to run around with grand kids when I'm 84! Keep up the good work!!

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out which way I want to take my workouts and fitness "goals". Been working out pretty hard for decades. Did bodybuilding years ago and did powerlifting up until a few years ago. Was considering gearing up to do some powerlifting again in the Masters raw division but have been getting into homesteading after trying to find and finally finding some property to do so. So now I'm really struggling with the decision to try to stay relatively strong or go with a more "fitness" oriented program with a little more cardio/endurance conditioning. Can't stop pushing weight around but got to find a workable solution that I'm happy with. Can't say I have any specific numbers or goals during this 7 weeks but I like the motivation of seeing other older guys making a concerted effort to get in better shape. Looking forward to seeing some excitement as progress is made! Losing 5-10 lbs would be my only certain goals which is mostly diet but I do need to up my work either way. Grab Some Iron Baby! :evil: Forgot to weigh myself this morning before breakfast but after was about 224. Possible workout goal is a 315 lb squat for 1set of 20 reps-current is around 6-8 reps for 2-3 sets.

If you record your weight AM and PM, you won't be able to say the weight just slipped up on you.
I usually weigh about 5 pounds lighter in the summer than the winter. Longer days, sweating and drinking lots of water.
My eating habits stay the same.
Eat to Live, don't Live to Eat. Don't get me wrong, I love good food, that's why I don't eat out very often. There are some places that I wouldn't eat if it was free.
Stop eating all the time and stop eating crap altogether.

I do situps hanging upside down on my inversion table (core strength), and have a pull-up bar in the barn(upper body).
I was repairing a big feed shed a couple of months ago. I reached up and pulled myself up in the rafters to do some measurements. I lowered myself and played around a little doing pull-ups with my legs straight out in front of me. The next day I could really feel the results from the pull-ups. That's when I decided I needed to put up the pull-up bar and work on my upper body strength.
I have one of those rubber band workout machines and free weights, that I never use. To me it's not about mass, it's about endurance and fitness.
You daily workout should be short, simple, and easily accessible. It's more likely to get done. lol

Most health problems stem from obesity/being over weight.. :thumb:

I forgot the plank. I will get it sometime this week. After the baseline I worked strength conditioning chest/back. Going to walk when I get home. Tomorrow I am jogging and doing Brazilian Jiujitsu.

I'm keeping it simple. 3 small meals and 3-4 snacks consisting of fish, chicken or eggs, fresh veggies, and fruit. Lot's of water and I will keep a food diary. Calisthenics, stretching, and doing plates every other day the first 2 weeks. 5-6 days starting week 3 increasing the duration moving forward. Working my way into weights and cycling. I will weigh myself when I get up and before I go to bed.
I had a Dr.'s appointment Friday discussed what I want to do and how to proceed. Inspired by @palmettomoon I asked about the chances of having a heart attack. I will be having heart imaging or something like that done in the very near future. Dr. will be scheduling that.
I'm 58, 6' and weighed 235lbs before breakfast. My goal is to lose wieght and inches, increase strength and stamina. Here's to success gentlemen.

I'm keeping it simple. 3 small meals and 3-4 snacks consisting of fish, chicken or eggs, fresh veggies, and fruit. Lot's of water and I will keep a food diary. Calisthenics, stretching, and doing plates every other day the first 2 weeks. 5 days starting week 3 increasing the duration moving forward. Working my way into weights and cycling. I will weigh myself when I get up and before I go to bed.
I had a Dr.'s appointment Friday discussed what I want to do and how to proceed. Inspired by @palmettomoon I asked about the chances of having a heart attack. I will be having heart imaging or something like that done in the very near future. Dr. will be scheduling that.
I'm 58, 6' and weighed 235lbs before breakfast. My goal is to lose wieght and inches, increase strength and stamina. Here's to success gentlemen.
It's a great feeling when the blue jeans start fitting more loosely.

Back
Top Bottom