• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta 1301 Tactical Shotgun

moe mensale

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
18   0
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:

Beretta is starting to give Benelli a run for their money in 3-gun and "tactical" weaponry with the introduction of their 1301 Competition and 1301 Tactical 12 ga semi-auto shotguns. I recently purchased one of their 1301 Tactical models after being a Rem 870 fan boy for years.

I took my 1301 to Creekside Range last week to see how it ran and what it would do with various ammo types I had laying around. I ran 106 rounds through it consisting of high & low brass, low & high velocity and buck, shot & slug. Specifically, Fed LE1324B #4 buckshot, Fed 13200 00 buckshot, Fed Target Load 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, Rem 00 buckshot, Rem Game Load 1 oz 6 shot, Rem STS Light Handicap 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot and Brenneke SL-122KO 1 oz slugs. They were all 2 3/4" shells. Depending on the shell, I was able to load 5 in the mag but most of them would only load 4 (no extension yet).

Joe Harris, the range owner, let me set up on the 25 yard pistol range and just use the berm without a target stand and gave me a pass on the "time between shots" rule. I wasn't concerned with patterning at this point. I wanted to see how well it fed, fired, extracted and ejected. I used only the ghost ring sights after mechanically centering the rear sight. A very small bush half way up the berm was my POA.

The 1301 Tactical has an 18.5" barrel and weighs about 6.7 lbs which is almost a pound lighter than my old Rem 870 Express Magnum. It shoulders and points easily. The lower weight is noticeable when shooting higher velocity rounds and especially the Brenneke slug which is a screamer at 1,600 fps. I only shot one of them! :D The trigger breaks around 5 lbs according to my old pull gauge and has a nice crisp feel to it. All my shooting was done off hand and the ghost ring sights appear to be quite accurate, at least at 25 yards.

Recoil is very manageable when using low recoil shells like the Fed LE 00 buck and Fed Target Loads. The sights come back on target quickly even when shooting quickly. The unshrouded barrel heats up quite quickly when shooting in a constant mode and forced me to put on my gloves. Getting back on target when shooting higher velocity rounds wasn’t much more difficult as long as you use a correct stance and don’t blade yourself too much. Beretta claims their rotating bolt BLINK gas system cycles faster than other gas systems. I had nothing to time it with or compare it to but it does empty a full mag (plus the one in the chamber) real quick.

I didn’t experience any failures to feed, extract or eject with any load or at any shooting speed and it went "bang" with every trigger pull. I’d like to try some real low velocity rounds to see if it will cycle them consistently even though my normal use round will be the Fed LE13200 buck and Fed Target Load for practice. I’ve read where some shooters have had their bolt releases come off the gun but mine stayed tight and in place.

Next trip out I’ll see how the 1301 patterns but I don’t expect any surprises. I'll be changing out the recoil pad for something a bit more substantial and possibly even Beretta's Kick Off recoil reduction system. Another mod will be to add a +2 magazine extention from Nordic Components. Overall, I’m really happy with my decision to go with the 1301.

Last edited:
Have around 500 rounds through the 1301 at this point and it eats everything I've fed it so far with no issues. The factory butt pad was replaced with a Beretta Micro Core Field pad model E73004. At .79" thick it lengthens the LOP by about a 1/2" but it substantially reduces the felt recoil. I also put a Nordic Compnents 1301 Tactical +2 magazine extention on which now gives me a capacity of 7+1 or 7+1+1 with a ghost load. Overall, this shotgun was a great addition to the pack.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Great review. I've got a 1031 Comp due to arrive Monday from a retailer out in TX and can't wait to shoot it. It has a 24" barrel with the Nordic +4 extension. Keep us updated if you make any other modifications and how they work.

Im a fan of the 1301….after adding a Nordic Extension and low drag follower Ive run quite a few rounds through this jewel and I love it..Great gun..

when I get the courage up Im gonna open the load port a little more and polish it up..

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 35
I played with one of these at the store. Unfortunately another purchase blocked the way forward. Wouldn't mind snagging one of these eventually though.

Back
Top Bottom