• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta A400 shot gun - recoil reduction?

Huntfishcamp

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I just picked up a new Beretta A400 with the kick-off system and after shooting it for the first time this past weekend, I'm a little disappointed with the supposed 70% recoil reduction that Beretta claims. The bulk of what I shot was standard 2-3/4 skeet rounds (maybe a box), and then I decided to put the recoil system to the test and I fired six 3-1/2 BB goose loads - ouch! Mind you, I was wearing nothing but a t-shirt, but i'm a big guy and usually recoil doesn't bother me. The online reviews I've seen led me to believe shooting the 3-1/2's would be a cake walk, but not so much.

Any thoughts? Do the hydraulics in the KO system have to be adjusted (can they)? Did I get a faulty gun?

Thanks!

I had one and could never really tell the difference vs most other shotguns. I sold it and bought a Benelli Cordoba because it just pointed so much better and I trusted the operating system more. Then I realized I just don't shoot shotguns often enough to care and sold the Benelli for a SX4 and pocketed the rest of the money thinking I was downgrading and saving cash. Turns out he SX3's/SX4's are actually outstanding shotguns and I haven't seen any reason to spend more for what they offer...and the recoil is lighter than both the Beretta and the Benelli.

I had one and could never really tell the difference vs most other shotguns. I sold it and bought a Benelli Cordoba because it just pointed so much better and I trusted the operating system more. Then I realized I just don't shoot shotguns often enough to care and sold the Benelli for a SX4 and pocketed the rest of the money thinking I was downgrading and saving cash. Turns out he SX3's/SX4's are actually outstanding shotguns and I haven't seen any reason to spend more for what they offer...and the recoil is lighter than both the Beretta and the Benelli.

Makes sense. I was taking a hard look at the SX4 as well.

Well, the only thing that can actually reduce recoil is a muzzle brake. Adding weight helps, but the momentum transferred is still the same, only more slowly. Same with reciprocating parts, mercury, or whatever hydraulics Beretta is using. They can reduce perceived recoil, but not the recoil itself. They can only spread it out in time. Turn it from a tissue-crushing punch into more of a push.

I don't have any personal knowledge about the Beretta, but I do know the physics.

Well, the only thing that can actually reduce recoil is a muzzle brake. Adding weight helps, but the momentum transferred is still the same, only more slowly. Same with reciprocating parts, mercury, or whatever hydraulics Beretta is using. They can reduce perceived recoil, but not the recoil itself. They can only spread it out in time. Turn it from a tissue-crushing punch into more of a push.

I don't have any personal knowledge about the Beretta, but I do know the physics.

That 70% claim is somebody's perception, not physics. Or Beretta is defining recoil as something other than "momentum transferred".

Had the A400 Xplor 12ga 28 " Barrels left hand,, sold it because I like shooting RT hand better,, Loved the gun, recoil was very lite, really all you felt was the Bolt sliding back and forth. Now all I got are 3 Beretta AL-391 and a number of O/U's.
Shoot my brothers A400 with 32" barrels and the recoil is very lite, maybe something is wrong with your Kick-off system,call Beretta.

Had the A400 Xplor 12ga 28 " Barrels left hand,, sold it because I like shooting RT hand better,, Loved the gun, recoil was very lite, really all you felt was the Bolt sliding back and forth. Now all I got are 3 Beretta AL-391 and a number of O/U's.
Shoot my brothers A400 with 32" barrels and the recoil is very lite, maybe something is wrong with your Kick-off system,call Beretta.
Maybe it needs to be cleaned??

Back
Top Bottom