• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta PX4 Compact

mjrgt03

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
270   0
Reaction score
I picked this up from GA Firing Line a few weeks ago. I've shot quite a few different 9mm pistols and this ranks right up there with some of the best. It shoots softer than the full size PX4 - I would guess the dual recoil spring has something to do with that. I would actually say it shoots softer than most of the 9mm's I've shot. Even some of the all steel weapons.

Compared to a Glock 19, the PX4 is a hair shorter in the slide and has maybe a 1/4" taller height. The PX4 is a little wider than a Glock. The trigger is very smooth and the DA seemed lighter and smoother than the H&K's I've shot. Accuracy was great as well. It comes with two 15-round mags and two extra backstraps. The picture shows the gun with the large backstrap installed. I've shot about 150 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever.

Takedown is easy. The backstraps are easy to switch out. Really, really nice weapon.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Thanks, I always thought the PX4 in either size was a nice looking pistol at a reasonable price.

I have never handled or shot one so my idea is based on gun magazine pictures and ads.

I had one of the first PX4's that came out, the full sized one. I really liked the pistol, it shot well, looked good, and I agree, it did take down very easy. I don't know why I got rid of it.

I have never found a Beretta that I didn't like.

Did you clean the pistol or oil it heavily before shooting it? I have a friend who bought one and the only thing it does reliably is jam. Five different ammo loads, several cleanings, and both mags and about every other or third round we either get a failure to feed or a failure to eject. Granted the issues could be mag related but I'd like to pick the brain of someone who has one to see if they do anything special with the gun. He was told by the gun store that the gun has a 500 round break in period which I don't buy.

Did you clean the pistol or oil it heavily before shooting it? I have a friend who bought one and the only thing it does reliably is jam. Five different ammo loads, several cleanings, and both mags and about every other or third round we either get a failure to feed or a failure to eject. Granted the issues could be mag related but I'd like to pick the brain of someone who has one to see if they do anything special with the gun. He was told by the gun store that the gun has a 500 round break in period which I don't buy.

I did a light cleaning on it - swabbed the barrel, wiped everything down, and spread a little oil around. I read on several sights where the first "batch" of these had spring problems. Apparently the dual recoil spring worked a little too well and wouldn't cycle the low-powered range ammo. I never had a problem with mine. I have since traded it off, but I really enjoyed the weapon while I had it. I would give Beretta a call or email. They know there was a problem with the first run of these and I think they'll send your friend a new recoil spring that should solve the problem. I also read where some folks were recommending leaving the slide locked open for 24 hours to kinda break in the recoil spring. Good luck. Once any kinks get worked out, it really is an awesome little gun.

I did a light cleaning on it - swabbed the barrel, wiped everything down, and spread a little oil around. I read on several sights where the first "batch" of these had spring problems. Apparently the dual recoil spring worked a little too well and wouldn't cycle the low-powered range ammo. I never had a problem with mine. I have since traded it off, but I really enjoyed the weapon while I had it. I would give Beretta a call or email. They know there was a problem with the first run of these and I think they'll send your friend a new recoil spring that should solve the problem. I also read where some folks were recommending leaving the slide locked open for 24 hours to kinda break in the recoil spring. Good luck. Once any kinks get worked out, it really is an awesome little gun.

I'll tell him to do that, see what happens. Pistol was only bough in the past five months so I don't think it is all that new. Also the FTF and FTE issues really sound more like mag related issues to me or a combination of the pistol and mags. I'll tell him to contact Beretta and see what they say.

I have one of these and it is a well built, smooth little gun.The Beretta 92 has the smoothEST, almost buttery soft slide/frame feel, but this gun is right behind it. I also find the balance with loaded magazine to be perfect. I guess my only problem with the gun is that it's DA/SA and I've stayed mostly to DAO style(Read...GLOCK) firing systems. I've debated with myself and even though I love the Beretta, I guess I'm going to be selling or trading it.

Great guns. They use a cam slide system as opposed to the browning flip barrel system. Makes for a slightly different recoil, but extremely accurate follow up shots.

Back
Top Bottom