• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best .223/.556 for competition?

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
What brand you guys use who shoot Highpower/CMP/Reduced Matches? ( I do not reload & do not shoot steel case)

Hornady?

Creedmoor?

Federal?

American Eagle?

Black Hills?

I am going to give it a whirl with my A2 20" HBAR this week and wanted to here it from you all.
images

I have found that Federal Gold Medal Match is the most consistent ammo for target shooting in my guns. Of course, everyone's gun is different but I think you will find that Federal Gold Medal Match, Sierra Open tip match is hard to beat. In my 308 it's simply the most accurate off the shelf ammo I have found and I reload. Give it a try with maybe on or two more and you will see what works best for your gun. Hornady has never been good for me. You might want to try the Creedmore since I haven't tried that or the Black Hills for something to compare to.

The heavier the better. It gives a better chance of group control by being able to stabilize better in windy conditions. I have better results with the 69 grain over the 55 gr. If you have a 1/7 twist rate then 69 is a better option. Just try a couple of different weights. I have found that the 55 gr. is just a bit too hot for precise grouping. Just bringing down the fps is a good thing when precise shooting is paramount. I think 69 gr. is the only option with the Federal Gold Medal Sierra Open Tip Match ammo. A lot of guys I know use this ammo when they don't have time to reload. They swear by it. It's really hard to beat this ammo even when reloading if your rifle likes it. Give it try and I think you find it really performs when shooting it out of a barrel that really takes to it. It is the most accurate ammo I have found out of the off the shelf alternatives.

With Hornady I can't get any good results with the shelf ammo. However, when I use the Hornady A-Max projectiles and reload with them I get amazing results. I have posted targets in here somewhere comparing the Hornady A-Max shelf loads and the Hornady projectile reloads and the difference is stunning.

I shoot a 20" Colt H-bar with a 1/9 twist also. I hand load for my fast twist "tactical AR" match rifles, but have been shooting the Creedmoor 69g TMK out of the Colt service rifle. This stuff shoots AMAZING out of the 1/9 twist 20"

I shot Georgia Arms commercially remanufactured 55gr. through mt Colt HBAR (1:9 hvy bbl.)

It was more accurate than I could hold from prone or sitting out to 300 yards.

But for 600 yard shooting, I'd switch to heavier bullets, and boat-tailed.
Most recently it was Black Hills 77 gr. ammo.

Back
Top Bottom