• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 22LR Handguns

DSCN0568.JPG

I've had/shot/owned/competed with a lot of 22s. Hands down favorite is the Model 102 Supermatic Citation. I own 8 but shoot only the first I bought. Smith 41, Colts, etc can't come close to trigger adjustments possible with the Hi Standard. Damn shame what happened to that company. You can find them for about $600 - $900 but you won't have to spend your kid's college fund on Volquartsen parts to turn a turd (Ruger anything) into a target pistol. I have pared the others down to a single early Ruger Standard and a Single S&W Model 41. I have two Sig/Hammerli but rarely shoot them. I always grab the 822k Hi-Standard M102 "Space gun." Try one. You won't go back.

If money is the primary concern? You cannot beat the trigger on the newer Buckmarks for a crisp, clean take up and break. I've tried several and they are tops. I like the S&W Victory too, good trigger and ergonomics.

I took this pic when I was still at 6 about two years ago....

Attachments

• Hi Standards.jpg
    Hi Standards.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 27
I've had/shot/owned/competed with a lot of 22s. Hands down favorite is the Model 102 Supermatic Citation. I own 8 but shoot only the first I bought. Smith 41, Colts, etc can't come close to trigger adjustments possible with the Hi Standard. Damn shame what happened to that company. You can find them for about $600 - $900 but you won't have to spend your kid's college fund on Volquartsen parts to turn a turd (Ruger anything) into a target pistol. I have pared the others down to a single early Ruger Standard and a Single S&W Model 41. I have two Sig/Hammerli but rarely shoot them. I always grab the 822k Hi-Standard M102 "Space gun." Try one. You won't go back.

If money is the primary concern? You cannot beat the trigger on the newer Buckmarks for a crisp, clean take up and break. I've tried several and they are tops. I like the S&W Victory too, good trigger and ergonomics.

I took this pic when I was still at 6 about two years ago....

OK Palmettomoon, I would say you have plenty of experience and expertise about 22lr pistols - It dwarfs mine by a long shot. Get that? Pun intended. Anyway, I have never heard anyone speak so negatively about a Ruger MK pistol. I understand that the MK III may have been a step down from the MK II, but most seem to be pretty satisfied with their Ruger MK pistol. I had 2 of them at different time. Both were MK II target models with a 5" bull barrel. What a F'ing pain to reassemble, but they shot great. I have to admit that I have been considering the Ruger MK IV Hunter as a top runner for my next 22lr pistol. I am guessing what you find so sucky about the Ruger may be a very minor factor to such an unsophisticated shooter as myself. I am honestly curious, and would appreciate you letting me know, what you consider the negatives of a Ruger MK pistol. If you have any insight in to the MK II or MK IV that would be most helpful since I have had the MK II and am looking hard at the MK IV.

OK Palmettomoon, I would say you have plenty of experience and expertise about 22lr pistols - It dwarfs mine by a long shot. Get that? Pun intended. Anyway, I have never heard anyone speak so negatively about a Ruger MK pistol. I understand that the MK III may have been a step down from the MK II, but most seem to be pretty satisfied with their Ruger MK pistol. I had 2 of them at different time. Both were MK II target models with a 5" bull barrel. What a F'ing pain to reassemble, but they shot great. I have to admit that I have been considering the Ruger MK IV Hunter as a top runner for my next 22lr pistol. I am guessing what you find so sucky about the Ruger may be a very minor factor to such an unsophisticated shooter as myself. I am honestly curious, and would appreciate you letting me know, what you consider the negatives of a Ruger MK pistol. If you have any insight in to the MK II or MK IV that would be most helpful since I have had the MK II and am looking hard at the MK IV.

They work. Don't get me wrong. But they are not "target" pistols. I do not like the Ruger trigger at all. I've felt some that were okay, but they'd been heavily "worked on." I don't like having to spend hundreds of dollars after buying the pistol in order to make is suitable for shooting targets. Yes, there are guys that can shoot the hell of them, but I've tried and I don't measure. I tried a few 41s too but do not find them to be the equal of the M102. Not to sound snarky but one thing I've never heard on the range from a Ruger shooter after trying the Hi Standard is, "Man, I can't wait to go back to shooting my Ruger."

I like the idea of the MkIV but I haven't purchased one yet. I love the handle rake on the Standard, MkI - MkIII. Not a huge fan of the 1911 style grip on the MkIII/45 nor the Hi Standard Military series. I shoot 45s a lot and love them, but the handle rake seems wrong to me somehow on a .22.

Not helpful I know but that's my opinion. I have no mechanical insights on the inner workings of any of these pistols, just adjustment ranges and 'feel'. Come to the club on a second Saturday and I'll bring some HS and Hammerlis and you can try them for yourself. You'll be ruined.

Back
Top Bottom