• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 22LR Handguns

1958 production......
1958 (2).JPG

Tough one, love the slab side Ruger, Can't part with my Kimber 1911, Smith 41 is a blast, the Sig 1911-22 (GSG) runs fantastic and the old Ruger Mark ones are perfect for plinking. That said I had a Smith 22A that wouldn't run right, sent it back to Smith and received back the sweetest shooting 22 pistol that I have ever held. I had already promised it to someone but it was hard to part with! Not sure if the others have that ability with some work or if a gunsmith at Smith was bored that day and wanted to show off. That said, I've been hankering for a 617........

They work. Don't get me wrong. But they are not "target" pistols. I do not like the Ruger trigger at all. I've felt some that were okay, but they'd been heavily "worked on." I don't like having to spend hundreds of dollars after buying the pistol in order to make is suitable for shooting targets. Yes, there are guys that can shoot the hell of them, but I've tried and I don't measure. I tried a few 41s too but do not find them to be the equal of the M102. Not to sound snarky but one thing I've never heard on the range from a Ruger shooter after trying the Hi Standard is, "Man, I can't wait to go back to shooting my Ruger."

I like the idea of the MkIV but I haven't purchased one yet. I love the handle rake on the Standard, MkI - MkIII. Not a huge fan of the 1911 style grip on the MkIII/45 nor the Hi Standard Military series. I shoot 45s a lot and love them, but the handle rake seems wrong to me somehow on a .22.

Not helpful I know but that's my opinion. I have no mechanical insights on the inner workings of any of these pistols, just adjustment ranges and 'feel'. Come to the club on a second Saturday and I'll bring some HS and Hammerlis and you can try them for yourself. You'll be ruined.

To me it sounds like you have the biggest issue with the triggers. I know triggers are a big deal in shooting targets, tight groups, and overall marksmanship. Minus the trigger, what do you think about the MK series? Is the barrel, overall accuracy, functionality and reliability something that you could stand behind?

To me it sounds like you have the biggest issue with the triggers. I know triggers are a big deal in shooting targets, tight groups, and overall marksmanship. Minus the trigger, what do you think about the MK series? Is the barrel, overall accuracy, functionality and reliability something that you could stand behind?
Accuracy is probably as good as any other. Reliability hasn't been an issue that couldn't be addressed with judicious use of a jeweler's file. I despise taking them down for cleaning. My real issue with them is the trigger. I cannot stand Ruger's marketing guns with triggers that need replacing or significant work. Think 10/22s. They sell you a rifle but if you want a slightly better trigger they have you covered for an extra $68. No thanks.

Yall can say what you want about the Ruger Mark II but I've owned my Govt. Target Model since the early 90's and it has never failed to function or hit exactly what it's shot at and it'll spit em' out as fast as you can possibly pull the trigger without jamming. This thing is built like a tank and the most accurate & fun to shoot .22lr pistol I've ever shot, I'd never even consider getting rid of it.
I had a govt target model as well and still hate myself for getting rid of it.
Was the most accurate.22 pistol I ever owned.
But love my SR22 with attached suppressor of course
And my bearcat! Just beautiful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom