• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best .300blkout hunting setup

Hornady black too. I would recommend the 150 fusions over Hornady though. Just based off of mass alone. You’re shooting a more accurate .30-30 at this point.
Yeah that’s pretty much my thinking behind it too. I was running a half inch group with some Remington 125 white box. Not too worried about the accuracy since most shots I really care about the extra mass specially going after a larger deer.

To clarify, I’m talking about 50-60 yd shots max. Will a 200 gr subsonic create an exit wound at that distance? What type of sub bullet? At that distance a pistol configuration would work...any lightweight bolt options other than the Q?
As a reference for heavy 30 cal at subsonic velocity.
185gr. Winchester subsonic HP,
50yd hit through the neck, (entered behind lower jaw on left side/ exited behind the right ear)
Dropped on the spot, expired under 30 seconds. The soft-core did expend and exit wound was no less than Speer 168gr. bonded SP.
20201211_104305.jpg
20201211_113122.jpg

As a reference for heavy 30 cal at subsonic velocity.
185gr. Winchester subsonic HP,
50yd hit through the neck, (entered behind lower jaw on left side/ exited behind the right ear)
Dropped on the spot, expired under 30 seconds. The soft-core did expend and exit wound was no less than Speer 165gr. bonded SP.View attachment 3627381View attachment 3627382
.308?

I don't trophy hunt so the behind the ear shot is the one I take the most.

My standard is I need to be able to pop the Spade on the Ace of Spades for the head shot.

If not I move to the body possibly break the shoulder or heart shot.
I need to be able to hit the playing card with 7.62x39, .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel.
If not I move to a more powerful cartridge and my requirements change to being able to hit an 8 inch paper plate at my hunting distances standing.

Just for note I use to shoot apples at 500 yards with 6.5 Creedmoor no problem standing.
*Note that was pre Covid I shake a bit more now and there is a trick to shooting at small targets standing.*

Shooting from the bench was boring so I had to spice it up a bit.

I guess what I am meandering about is know your gun, ballistics and bullet construction and adjust your shot accordingly.

Also I don't trust Hornady as much as I use to.
I believe the Eld tips are to hard.

Back
Top Bottom