• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 38 spl Ammo for Snub Nose

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion about the best 38 snub nose ammo for self defense? I imagine this day and age that some manufactures have started manufacturing ammo that is optimized for a very short barrel. My guess is that it is a +P of some flavor. Any ideas?

How about this fine Argentinian sportarms...
Nothing like quality plastic cam to insure smooth operation
20190404_112123.jpg
20190404_112133.jpg
no ammo needed you just throw it like a boomerang

I have started carrying The Federal 130 gr HST +P's in mine. I've read good things and I got really good expansion shooting through a stack of newspaper (I know, not a real good test matter)
The one thing I can say though, ya can't do a fast reload with them in a speed loader or bullet strip due to the flat end on them.
See the bottom pic, I pulled the bullet out of one just to see what it looked like, then reloaded it and shot it and a few more.
I'm shooting them out of a S&W 442

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
38.jpg

I have started carrying The Federal 130 gr HST +P's in mine. I've read good things and I got really good expansion shooting through a stack of newspaper (I know, not a real good test matter)
The one thing I can say though, ya can't do a fast reload with them in a speed loader or bullet strip due to the flat end on them.
See the bottom pic, I pulled the bullet out of one just to see what it looked like, then reloaded it and shot it and a few more.

View attachment 2074356 View attachment 2074357 View attachment 2074358 View attachment 2074359
That's interesting. I have considered trying this load. I would assume expansion would be optimized for a snub. I'm surprised it didn't expand. I am currently carrying 148 wadcutters in my 642. I figure it's more weight and a sharper edge. If the round doesn't expand I don't see the benefit of the lighter round with more recoil of the +p.

That's interesting. I have considered trying this load. I would assume expansion would be optimized for a snub. I'm surprised it didn't expand. I am currently carrying 148 wadcutters in my 642. I figure it's more weight and a sharper edge. If the round doesn't expand I don't see the benefit of the lighter round with more recoil of the +p.

The one pictured was PULLED from the case NOT fired. I didn't take a pic of the fired one, but it DID expand, very well.

Back
Top Bottom