• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

leetheman81

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
165   0
Reaction score
Looking for something with maximum range possible without getting any type of license from the fcc. Obviously the range advertised won't be achieved in our area but whats something i can talk to my daughter on at her friends house about a mile down the road or others in a shtf situation where cell towers are out.
Thanks ODT and God Bless!!

I've used Baofeng for various reasons and they're solid. Add an upgraded antennae and extra capacity battery, you're good to go. Also, you can connect to repeaters so the range is multiplied. There's various videos on youtube.

The range of the Baofeng BF-F8HP can go as far as 20-25 miles; depending upon obstacles and weather.

I've used Baofeng for various reasons and they're solid. Add an upgraded antennae and extra capacity battery, you're good to go. Also, you can connect to repeaters so the range is multiplied. There's various videos on youtube.

The range of the Baofeng BF-F8HP can go as far as 20-25 miles; depending upon obstacles and weather.

Fairly user friendly and ready to operate right out of the box without any significant programming to use as "walkie talkie" per say?

Fairly user friendly and ready to operate right out of the box without any significant programming to use as "walkie talkie" per say?

Yes, sir. For the purposes you stated, I would just pick 2 frequencies and save them in each radio. One for primary and one for backup.

You can change frequencies right on the radio interface and save them too. You could also get a programming cable (if you like) and use the free program to load dozens of frequencies. I loaded mine with emergency frequencies in various counties, all the way to my parents house. That way if SHTF, I have some sort of comms as I make my way to them. You can even set it as a police scanner.

Here's a basic setup:

I've heard a lot of people say those Beofang radios are difficult (complicated) to set up.
I would assume they're also difficult for newbies who aren't ham radio geeks to use.
What if the OP's daughter, or some other family member, pushes the wrong button? Will she know how to reverse that operation and return the radio to the same settings as it was minutes ago?

I've had a dozen different brands and models of CB walkie-talkies and first-generation family radio service (FRS) transceivers over the years, and they have to be STUPID SIMPLE for anybody but you or another walkie-talkie owner to use effectively. Oh, and I've used a lot of business channel radios too, and they take a lot of training to use, and even then people will STILL touch the wrong button and change the settings. Sometimes this means they lose all communications until somebody reconfigures their radio.

Back
Top Bottom