• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

Being a Ham geek, I would agree with GAgunLAW booklet that the Baofeng will be difficult to use as it is a very complicated little radio with lots of features that you will never use for casual communications. Since it is so versatile, the menus are complex with features like repeater offsets, CTSS tones,etc. If you or your daughter pushes the wrong key the radios won’t communicate. Depending on your understanding of the modes of operation, you may or may not get them back to where they will “talk” to each other. However, there is a keypad lock function that may prevent that. I would look for a nice set of FRS radios for this purpose that only have a volume control & PTT button. It’s hard to mess that up. Also, the Baofeng will transmit on Ham frequencies that may get you in trouble if you accidentally punch in the wrong frequency. But that won’t be much of a concern in SHTF situations. The CB solution above is an interesting option, especially if you can find a CB handheld for your daughter.

When I was in Syria working with local forces, we supplied them with Baofeng UV-5Rs which they used for combat operations. Additionally, my team and I used cheap Baofengs to communicate non-sensitive information across the firebases and FOBs we were at. We had all the latest USASOC comms and we still used the Baofengs due to their reliability and portability. Couldn’t recommend them enough.

We used the BF-888S radio. Took a $5 cable and a free program on the computer called “Chirp” if I remember correctly to program our freqs and after that, there was just a knob on top to change presets. No screen or buttons. Super simple.

We used the BF-888S radio. Took a $5 cable and a free program on the computer called “Chirp” if I remember correctly to program our freqs and after that, there was just a knob on top to change presets. No screen or buttons. Super simple.
A quick amazon search revealed these, the price seems too good to be true. So theoretically, i could get some of these and distribute a few to close pals that live within a 2-3 mile radius and as long as we are on the same channel or frequency we should be able to communicate in a shtf situation?
This price just seems too good to be true for multiple units if so

A quick amazon search revealed these, the price seems too good to be true. So theoretically, i could get some of these and distribute a few to close pals that live within a 2-3 mile radius and as long as we are on the same channel or frequency we should be able to communicate in a shtf situation?
This price just seems too good to be true for multiple units if so
I know. They’re strangely affordable. That’s why we outfitted the YPG/YPJ in Syria with them. If you’re looking for something more robust, those marine radio that GoNoGo GoNoGo mentioned look more suitable. As far as affordability and function go, you can’t go wrong with the 888s.

Like I said before, I don’t know much about civilian comms, but I would definitely recommend that if it is a SHTF scenario, steer clear of FRS and similar bands and go with VHF/UHF as (in my experience) their range is vastly superior and the FCC probably isn’t going to come find you for operating on a band that you’re not authorized to. Just my thoughts.

Hey OP, sorry didn’t read all of your thread, but I have a whole set of radios that I got off another ODT’er a couple years ago. Like 6 2-way Motorolas with a base station. If you’re in the market, PM me. Cheap. I bought them to connect to our headsets for shooting. Great, just don’t use them.

Being a Ham geek, I would agree with GAgunLAW booklet that the Baofeng will be difficult to use as it is a very complicated little radio with lots of features that you will never use for casual communications. Since it is so versatile, the menus are complex with features like repeater offsets, CTSS tones,etc. If you or your daughter pushes the wrong key the radios won’t communicate. Depending on your understanding of the modes of operation, you may or may not get them back to where they will “talk” to each other. However, there is a keypad lock function that may prevent that. I would look for a nice set of FRS radios for this purpose that only have a volume control & PTT button. It’s hard to mess that up. Also, the Baofeng will transmit on Ham frequencies that may get you in trouble if you accidentally punch in the wrong frequency. But that won’t be much of a concern in SHTF situations. The CB solution above is an interesting option, especially if you can find a CB handheld for your daughter.
Have to agree electra_glide_ryder I own one and it is difficult to use

Back
Top Bottom